Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air random crashes

I have a MacBook Air running BigSur 11.2.3 and experience seemingly random crashes. There is almost nothing installed on the MacBook, and sometimes it crashes while not even being used. I've updated everything including the OS multiple times with no change. Any assistance is appreciated! Here is the panic:

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 9:13 AM

In my limited experience, kernel panics can be caused by hardware issues. That said, is it understood that the the MacBook Air shipped with Big Sur? Also, is the user new to Apple and the MacBook, or did you use something like Migration Assistant to bring in your data?

Let's rule out software and data - If new user and MacBook, have you tried creating a 2nd new admin test user (can delete later) to see if kernel panic also occurs under that user? If also occurs would conclude hardware issue and would Apple Support a call.

If panic is just under user, can perhaps conclude kernel panic software issue, then if not too much trouble use new second user and restrain from using Migration Assistant. Understandable that using Migration Assistant is a necessity, in that case, contact Apple Support. Suggest still contacting Apple Support if decided to use new 2nd user, I'm sure Apple would want to document your case should other issues arise.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2021 9:13 AM in response to abitdifferent

In my limited experience, kernel panics can be caused by hardware issues. That said, is it understood that the the MacBook Air shipped with Big Sur? Also, is the user new to Apple and the MacBook, or did you use something like Migration Assistant to bring in your data?

Let's rule out software and data - If new user and MacBook, have you tried creating a 2nd new admin test user (can delete later) to see if kernel panic also occurs under that user? If also occurs would conclude hardware issue and would Apple Support a call.

If panic is just under user, can perhaps conclude kernel panic software issue, then if not too much trouble use new second user and restrain from using Migration Assistant. Understandable that using Migration Assistant is a necessity, in that case, contact Apple Support. Suggest still contacting Apple Support if decided to use new 2nd user, I'm sure Apple would want to document your case should other issues arise.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

MacBook Air random crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.