Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music List Size setting

Does the List Size setting in Apple Music actually change anything? I've looked at every list you can find on the program (Apple Music, Library, Playlists). None of the three settings in the Preferences menu (Small, Medium, and Large) make any adjustments

I was hoping to make the list size smaller. On a 15" Macbook screen, you can only see about 10-13 songs listed at a time.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 5:04 AM

Not that I can tell. There was a recent design change whereby the list view automatically allots a bunch of space for some cover arts and text, which greatly reduces the number of songs that are in view at one time.

Similar questions

7 replies

Apr 15, 2021 9:23 AM in response to TheLittles

That doesn't really help. I don't want to make the text size different, especially for everything on the computer. Regardless, even when it is scaled, the List Size option doesn't make any changes.

See in this picture, the title text for each song only takes up about 25% of the space, so the other 75% is just wasted. It's pretty annoying cause for example, this is a 2-disc album. If it didn't have these big gaps in between, I'd be able to see all the songs on both discs at a glance

Apr 15, 2021 4:31 PM in response to TheLittles

Okay yes I see what you're saying, but this doesn't seem like a very good workaround. Not only does it change the resolution for the entire computer, it only adds space for 2-3 more songs on the list. The ratio of unused space in the list is relatively consistent between resolutions.

However, I did figure out that the List Size setting only affects a list if you can set the View to as Songs. If so you are able to change the spacing between each song. That only happens in a playlist or on the library's entire list of songs. It's obviously built this way so it can fit the album cover next to each song

Apr 15, 2021 6:03 PM in response to RBees3

RBees3 Said:

"Okay yes I see what you're saying, but this doesn't seem like a very good workaround. Not only does it change the resolution for the entire computer, it only adds space for 2-3 more songs on the list. The ratio of unused space in the list is relatively consistent between resolutions.[...]"

-------

Leave Apple Feedback:

Do your Part: Apple won't get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more likely they will consider making a change.

1. Go Here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
  2. Select: "Feature Request" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: On how this would be good for users.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Apr 15, 2021 10:36 AM in response to RBees3

RBees3 Said:

"That doesn't really help. I don't want to make the text size different, especially for everything on the computer. Regardless, even when it is scaled, the List Size option doesn't make any changes. See in this picture, the title text for each song only takes up about 25% of the space, so the other 75% is just wasted. It's pretty annoying cause for example, this is a 2-disc album. If it didn't have these big gaps in between, I'd be able to see all the songs on both discs at a glance"

-------

Upscaling the Resolution:

So, upscale your Screen Resolution is not an option. It upscales it. You might need to click on the images to see it in full.

I'll add anchors to the images, so that you can see them as intended.

Default Resolution:

Larger Text Resolution:

Apr 14, 2021 5:40 AM in response to RBees3

RBees3 Said:

"Apple Music List Size setting Does the List Size setting in Apple Music actually change anything? [...]I was hoping to make the list size smaller. On a 15" Macbook screen, you can only see about 10-13 songs listed at a time."

-------

Modify the Text Size:

The only way to do this is it to modify the Screen Resolution. You would choose "Scaled", and choose a larger text than what is currently selected. Once no longer needed, set it back to what it was

1. Go to: System Preferences
  2. Select: Displays
  3. Select: The display (if more than one)
  4. Select: Display tab
  5. Select: Scaled radio button
  6. Select: The text size that is larger
  7. Perform: what need be
  8. Set: the scale back to what is was before

Screenshot:

Apple Music List Size setting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.