Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete duplicate photos but not those already in albums

There are a number of duplicate photos in my Library- not enough to justify any 3rd party remover. 

About half my photos are in albums (others I label or give them keywords for easy searching). 

I’m happy to delete duplicates manually. 

However if I’m looking at a pair of similar photos how do I know that the one I’m about to delete isn’t the one that I’ve already saved to an album? (None of my albums seem to have duplicates).

Thanks

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 10:00 AM

Or dot the other way around - tag all photos in an album with the name of the album as a keyword.

Then you can see, which photo has been added to which album, when you look at the Info for the Photo.

When deleting duplicates, it is essential to keep the better version - the one with the best resolution, or the most metadata tags. If you find, that the better version is not in any album, but the lesser version is, you will still want to keep the better version and then add it to the correct alum, while deleting the other photo. Or the version not in any album may have been tagged with a title, caption, and keywords, but the other version has not, and in that case you need to transfer the title and caption to the photo in the album.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2021 10:00 AM in response to N71

Or dot the other way around - tag all photos in an album with the name of the album as a keyword.

Then you can see, which photo has been added to which album, when you look at the Info for the Photo.

When deleting duplicates, it is essential to keep the better version - the one with the best resolution, or the most metadata tags. If you find, that the better version is not in any album, but the lesser version is, you will still want to keep the better version and then add it to the correct alum, while deleting the other photo. Or the version not in any album may have been tagged with a title, caption, and keywords, but the other version has not, and in that case you need to transfer the title and caption to the photo in the album.

Apr 13, 2021 9:52 AM in response to N71

Hi

Try this:

Tag all your duplicates with a keyword (eg "duplicate")

then create a smart album with the conitions:

Keyword is duplicate

and

Album is not any.

Like this (though I've used bird for the keyword)

Note that if you have dupicates that are not in any album, then you will see both (or more) copies in the smart album. Then you will have to be carful not to delete them all.

Delete duplicate photos but not those already in albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.