Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual Monitor Support with M1

I really need to upgrade my computer and have just discovered that the new Macbooks with the M1 chip do not support dual monitors.

I was minutes away from the purchase before I discovered this by chance - this information is not clear enough on the website.

This is a show stopper for me - I code and design and need 2 monitors connected to my computer to work.

I am unable to find information about when this issue will be addressed - does anyone know how long we have to wait before the new M1 chip will be capable of this? It currently feels like the newer technology is going backwards here.

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 2:42 PM

3 replies

Apr 26, 2021 3:58 PM in response to Emma Spencer

This is a huge screw up on Apple's part. They created a nice laptop and completely forgot this table stakes functionality. For now, your best bet is the Mac mini which has a separate HDMI port, so you can run one monitor through USB-C and the other through the HDMI. There are also some workarounds using an USB-A to HDMI converter, which I'm trying, but they aren't officially supported to my knowledge.

Dual Monitor Support with M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.