Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore external an hard drive backed up time machine?

Hello, I have two external hard drives connected to my Mac, one for Photos and the other for Time Machine backup. The Photos hard drive has recently crashed and I would like to find out how to restore it from Time Machine. The Photos hard drive was previously backed up on Time Machine but I can't seem to find it after entering Time Machine. Thanks.

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 3:36 PM

10 replies

Apr 14, 2021 10:59 AM in response to kwokzter

Go into Time Machine while on the Desktop and go back in time to a point where you know you have a valid backup of the EHD. In the Finder toolbar under Path select the Macintosh HD icon to get all of the drives and EHDs that existed at that time:

In my case the drive had that strange number as a title but was the same as the Macintosh HD that most get.

Then the backed up EHDs will show:

Give that a try and see if you can find the EHD backup via Time Machine.

Apr 13, 2021 3:50 PM in response to Jack-19

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply. I tried entering the Time Machine but I couldn't find the Photo external hard drive on the side bar. However, when I open the backup folder in the Time Machine hard drive directly, I do see the Photo library file. I just can't find a way to restore it when I'm in the Time Machine.

Albert

How to restore external an hard drive backed up time machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.