Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notifications from iMessage don't show the contact name, even though conversation list properly does

macOS 11.2.3 // MacBook Air M1 2020

Desktop notifications from iMessage don't show the name of who is messaging me; it only displays the phone number. In some cases the notification will say Maybe: Contact Name.

I'm not sure why this is happening. I did not have this problem on my MacBook Air Intel 2020.

When I go to the conversation picker in iMessage, all of my conversations are there with name and contact photo.

I've disabled and re-enabled contact syncing for iCloud and my other accounts (MS, Goog) from both Contacts.app and System Preferences > Internet Accounts. I've even gone through and updated individual contacts so that their phone was listed as 'iPhone' and not 'mobile'.

I know another person who is having the same issue. I feel I've checked every setting, de-duped my contact list, done everything I could, but it's still not fixed.

I think my next step is to wipe my MacBook and set it up as a new device. I used the Transfer Assistant and am wondering if that caused the issue.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 9:42 PM

Hey Greg Plancich!

Can you say on which account you sync most of your contacts? Google, iCloud, etc?

Likewise is the same happening on any other devices? (If you have others).

If you do sync most contacts with iCloud, my first instinct is to do what you’ve already done, disable/enable, etc. However, since you’ve done that, could you try signing out of your Apple ID all together in System Preferences > Apple ID > Overview, restart and sign in again?

It could be something else, but likewise, testing while signed into another admin account, or even in safe mode are really good tests, let me know how it goes!

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/start-up-your-mac-in-safe-mode-mh21245/mac

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2021 9:42 PM in response to Greg Plancich

Hey Greg Plancich!

Can you say on which account you sync most of your contacts? Google, iCloud, etc?

Likewise is the same happening on any other devices? (If you have others).

If you do sync most contacts with iCloud, my first instinct is to do what you’ve already done, disable/enable, etc. However, since you’ve done that, could you try signing out of your Apple ID all together in System Preferences > Apple ID > Overview, restart and sign in again?

It could be something else, but likewise, testing while signed into another admin account, or even in safe mode are really good tests, let me know how it goes!

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/start-up-your-mac-in-safe-mode-mh21245/mac

Notifications from iMessage don't show the contact name, even though conversation list properly does

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.