Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a MacBook Air as a second monitor

Good day

I am replying to an older post from 2016 by "brunofromcapetown" https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7701694.

Unfortunately, I have not found anything to see if there is another solution. Like "brunofromcapetown" many appelfriends have this problem. So do I. It doesn't seem to be possible to use my "MacBook Air, early 2015 (13", I7, 8GB, 512GB), wireless or via Thunderbold, as a second monitor.

I recently bought the "MacBook Air 2020 M1". Since Excel still does not support all functions under M1 and various functions crash under Rosetta, the older device must remain in use. Also, for ecological reasons, I am not prepared to buy a new screen in order to use it only rarely. I can't believe that Apple has so little ecological conscience and would force its customers to dispose of a perfectly functioning device instead of allowing it to live a second life as a monitor and backup computer.

Unfortunately, my English is not good and the German-language pages do not provide a solution. Therefore, the text has been translated with Deepl and I am trying English language sites.

I hope for your support and solution

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 10:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 4:39 AM

There are ZERO ways to use any Mac laptop directly as a

directly connected second screen.

However, you can use Screen Sharing via a network. An ethernet network

is preferred for performance unless you have one of the ludicrous speed

WiFi routers.

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Using a MacBook Air as a second monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.