Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virus on safari

When I use google on safari I get redirected to Yahoo. I tried clearing caches and even got a virus software but the problem didn't stop

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 12:38 PM

In addition to the above, go to Safari Preferences/Extensions, uninstall any you don't recognize, and then turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari/Preferences/General - see what the Home Page is set to. If something you don't recognize, see if you can replace it with something you want.

Safari menu/Clear History.

System Preferences and remove any Profiles you see.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2021 12:38 PM in response to ronnie2266

In addition to the above, go to Safari Preferences/Extensions, uninstall any you don't recognize, and then turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari/Preferences/General - see what the Home Page is set to. If something you don't recognize, see if you can replace it with something you want.

Safari menu/Clear History.

System Preferences and remove any Profiles you see.

Apr 14, 2021 10:00 AM in response to ronnie2266

Install Malwarebytes and let it look for adware/malware which is most likely redirecting Safari to Yahoo. Do not subscribe, and when you are done, you can uninstall Malwarebytes from its Help menu. Reboot your Mac.

Following the anti-virus vendors uninstall instructions, remove it from your Mac. There are no viruses on Mac for it to detect, and no Windows viruses can run on a Mac anyway.

If you adopt a policy of only downloading software from the original vendor site, and not from anywhere else, adware and malware will become nearly extinct on your Mac.

Virus on safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.