Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incrementing Text

I'm running Numbers 10.1

If I enter a single letter in a cell, then drag down to autofill the cells below

The letter is 'incremented' in each cell.

How can I prevent this from happening.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 12:23 PM

Hmmm...

"Created a new column next to the one I needed,

entered the same single letter in the 2 cells of the first row

selected both cells and dragged down.

Both cells 'increment' the letter.

What you've described is shown in columns A&B then D&E.

What I suggested is shown in columns G then I

The seed cells must be a pair that are adjacent in the direction (down) of the fill to be done.

Regards,

Barry

PS: Nice workaround. Do make sure that you do not have the text string "qwerty" anywhere else in the document before selecting Replace ALL, though. Also, don't use a text string ending with a number—qwerty1 will increment1

B.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2021 12:23 PM in response to LazyCarrot

Hmmm...

"Created a new column next to the one I needed,

entered the same single letter in the 2 cells of the first row

selected both cells and dragged down.

Both cells 'increment' the letter.

What you've described is shown in columns A&B then D&E.

What I suggested is shown in columns G then I

The seed cells must be a pair that are adjacent in the direction (down) of the fill to be done.

Regards,

Barry

PS: Nice workaround. Do make sure that you do not have the text string "qwerty" anywhere else in the document before selecting Replace ALL, though. Also, don't use a text string ending with a number—qwerty1 will increment1

B.

Apr 14, 2021 11:42 AM in response to LazyCarrot

That is strange, and unexpected behaviour.

Try this. It's a workaround, rather than a recommended 'regular' procedure, but should get the job done.

Enter the single letter in cell B2

Select B3, press = to open the Formula Editor, then click B2 to enter this simple 'formula' (shown below the table).

Click the green checkmark button to confirm the formula and close the editor.

Fill down as usual.

With the filled cells selected, press command-C to Copy, then go to the Edit menu and choose Paste formula results.

This replaces the formula in each cell with the last value calculated by that formula, leaving each of the cells now containing a copy of the original letter.

Regards,

Barry

PS: If further experimentation confirms the odd behaviour when following the procedure suggested in my earlier message (try it for filling in all four directions using two identical letter cells as seed) consider sending Apple a Bug report, using the Provide Numbers Feedback menu item in the Numbers menu.

Example test table:

Incrementing Text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.