Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro, no text notifications

My new $1000 iPhone 12 Pro refuses to send notifications for text messages received. Using ios 14.4.2.

When I first started using it, it was fine, so I have the feeling the culprit is ios14. In any case, I have gone back to settings, reset everything to the banner and sound I wanted, then restarted the phone. It then works as it should maybe for three or four texts, then is back to its errant ways. Can ANYONE help me??

I am ready to throw this stupid phone against the wall!

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 14, 2021 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 6:29 PM

After doing everything that common sense dictates, with no success, I went back to the internet search. There are many people with the same problem and various fixes. The one that worked for me:

Reader Kori has noticed that the Messages notifications bug can be avoided if you’re exiting the conversation thread before dismissing Messages.

How To: After you read or send a text, tap the ‘back arrow’ (left pointing), available in the top-left corner of the screen to go back to the Messages home screen, the one where all conversations are listed.

Tip: You can also swipe-right, instead of tapping the back arrow, for a more seamless interaction.

Just FYI.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2021 6:29 PM in response to Sparks0829

After doing everything that common sense dictates, with no success, I went back to the internet search. There are many people with the same problem and various fixes. The one that worked for me:

Reader Kori has noticed that the Messages notifications bug can be avoided if you’re exiting the conversation thread before dismissing Messages.

How To: After you read or send a text, tap the ‘back arrow’ (left pointing), available in the top-left corner of the screen to go back to the Messages home screen, the one where all conversations are listed.

Tip: You can also swipe-right, instead of tapping the back arrow, for a more seamless interaction.

Just FYI.

Apr 15, 2021 10:10 AM in response to georgiabyte

Hi there georgiabyte,

From what we can tell, you're not hearing sounds for Messages notifications on your new iPhone 12 Pro. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities, and we can provide some guidance. 

To start, "If you have notifications turned on for an app but you're not receiving alerts, you might not have Banners selected. Go to Settings > Notifications, select the app, then select Banners." Try the suggestions in the 'If you don't see notifications for a specific app' section of this support article:

Use notifications on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Next, you'll want to check to make sure you didn't accidentally mute notifications for any of your conversations. This link provides more details:

Change message notifications on iPhone

Also, the link below may be helpful:

Change iPhone sounds and vibrations

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers.

Apr 15, 2021 12:45 PM in response to Sparks0829

Thanks for your efforts, but I have been through all of these things. I have had an iPhone for perhaps 8 years and I do get into the technical aspect of the phone from time to time. I have done everything I know to do, including all of what is in the parts of the manual to which you refer. The only other thing I can think of is to reset the phone, but I really hate to do that.

Since my phone is not even a year old, I guess I will call Apple support and see what they have to say. I know for sure I am not the only person with this problem.

Thanks again!

iPhone 12 Pro, no text notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.