Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Walk Didn't Register This Morning?

Hi all! I did an outdoor walk this morning to the end of the neighborhood and back. I had my iPhone in my coat pocket and my watch was on my wrist. It is 1.25 miles from home to there and 1.25 miles back. The iPhone Fitness app shows 54 mins time (6:55a to 7:49a), 2.5 miles distance, and 225 cals. The Exercise ring on my watch, however, shows 20 mins out of 45 mins of exercise. Why isn't the exercise ring closed? Is there something else I need to sync between the phone and the watch? Thank you for any insight.

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 12:07 PM

Short version: walk faster :)

Let me try to break this down.

You started the 'workout' at 6:55am and ended it at 7:49am, for a 'workout period' of 54 minutes. Got that.

However, that does not indicate 54 minutes of exercise. You have to move above a certain pace in order for the period to count.

In this case, your average pace was 21:36 minutes per mile (54 minutes / 2.5 miles).

You need to move at a pace of about 18:30 minutes per mile in order to count as 'exercise' on the Fitness rings.

If you're walking the dog and she's stopping to sniff at every other lamppost, that will drag down your average pace.

If you stop to talk to the neighbors, that will drag down your pace.

So, in short, there is a difference between just 'walking' and 'walking for exercise'.

In this case, of your 54 minutes total 'outside time' you were only walking above the 'exercise' threshold for 20 minutes of that time, hence the ring didn't yet close.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2021 12:07 PM in response to FloydW

Short version: walk faster :)

Let me try to break this down.

You started the 'workout' at 6:55am and ended it at 7:49am, for a 'workout period' of 54 minutes. Got that.

However, that does not indicate 54 minutes of exercise. You have to move above a certain pace in order for the period to count.

In this case, your average pace was 21:36 minutes per mile (54 minutes / 2.5 miles).

You need to move at a pace of about 18:30 minutes per mile in order to count as 'exercise' on the Fitness rings.

If you're walking the dog and she's stopping to sniff at every other lamppost, that will drag down your average pace.

If you stop to talk to the neighbors, that will drag down your pace.

So, in short, there is a difference between just 'walking' and 'walking for exercise'.

In this case, of your 54 minutes total 'outside time' you were only walking above the 'exercise' threshold for 20 minutes of that time, hence the ring didn't yet close.

Apr 15, 2021 4:52 PM in response to FloydW

You have to consider that the goal of the rings is to encourage people to push a little further, after all if you can close your move ring by sitting on the couch all day, then what value is it adding?

That said, everyone's levels are different based on many variables - age, gender, physical (dis)abilities, etc. and one size does not fit all.

To that end, you are able to customize the goals. If you feel that you got a decent workout on your walk and that 20 minutes is a good goal for you, then set your exercise goal to 20 minutes instead of 30.

You still have the satisfaction of closing (or doubling) your rings most days, but also have the ability to go further when you feel up to it.

In the Fitness app on the watch, just scroll down past the stats and tap the 'Change Goals' button. You can set individual goals for calories burned, exercise minutes, and stand hours.

Apr 18, 2021 12:43 PM in response to Camelot

I did an experiment yesterday and today. I walked the opposite way down to the Panera to get some coffee. It's about the same 1.25 miles each way. When I got to Panera, I paused the outdoor walk on the watch. I got my coffee and when I got back outside, I resumed the walk. That cut about 10 minutes off of the time, BUT when I got home, the ring showed that I had walked 42 mins instead of the 53 minutes from the other day. I'm thinking that on my previous walks when I got to the half-way point and I stopped to catch my breath for about 10 minutes, it may have skewed the numbers. At least now I have a better feeling about what happens during my walks. Maybe I'm not walking as slow as I thought. LOL

Apr 18, 2021 5:39 PM in response to Camelot

This only makes partial sense because if I’m using the workout app for exercise it should count regardless of what pace/threshold I’m at. Because if I want to walk a long distance at a slower pace that is still considered working out even if I’m not meeting the threshold that they want me to meet. For instance, I walked today for 2 1/2 hours which was 7 1/2 miles but my watch only counted 42 minutes. I think Apple needs to go back and reconfigure that again, it’s only been an issue for the past few months with the new update.

Walk Didn't Register This Morning?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.