Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remap a core MacOS Directory (Downloads)?

I want to remap the Downloads folder to an SSD - specifically the Apple installed SSD that was part of a fusion drive which I replaced with a full SSD. Normally I would create an alias and delete the old directory but I can't to this with Downloads as its "“Downloads” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by macOS."

I guess I need to use terminal or single user mode - any advice how to do this? Here is a screenshot for reference (want to map "Downloads" to "Downloads SSD":

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 2:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 12:33 PM

Why not tell your browser to use a download directory?

If Safari is not your web browser, most web browses have this preference.

If you really want to mess with the $HOME/Downloads folder, you could use the xattr command to remove the com.apple.macl attribute. That will most likely let you mess rename or delete the existing Downloads folder, and replace it with a Unix Symbolic Link that points to your SSD Downloads folder.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2021 12:33 PM in response to solomani

Why not tell your browser to use a download directory?

If Safari is not your web browser, most web browses have this preference.

If you really want to mess with the $HOME/Downloads folder, you could use the xattr command to remove the com.apple.macl attribute. That will most likely let you mess rename or delete the existing Downloads folder, and replace it with a Unix Symbolic Link that points to your SSD Downloads folder.

Remap a core MacOS Directory (Downloads)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.