Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update install issue

I keep getting a notice for a software update but when I click to install the update it runs until about half way through and stops indicating that the install has stopped and suggests it is possibly due to an internet problem, which is working as it should. How can I proceed with the install or stop the reminder pop-up?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 4:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 4:31 PM

You are getting that message because it is an internet problem. I will bet you are using Wi-Fi to do the download. Wi-Fi is too slow for these very large files and they often get corrupted during the download process. Better to use a direct wired Ethernet connection which normally works just fine. The download can take up to an hour, more or less, and the installation can take another 45 minutes, more or less with several automatic restarts. I hope this helps. If you are unable to use a direct wired connection, you might have to do several lengthy downloads until you get a clean one that works.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2021 4:31 PM in response to rtkilmon

You are getting that message because it is an internet problem. I will bet you are using Wi-Fi to do the download. Wi-Fi is too slow for these very large files and they often get corrupted during the download process. Better to use a direct wired Ethernet connection which normally works just fine. The download can take up to an hour, more or less, and the installation can take another 45 minutes, more or less with several automatic restarts. I hope this helps. If you are unable to use a direct wired connection, you might have to do several lengthy downloads until you get a clean one that works.

Update install issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.