Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emails showing HTML code

Does anybody know why emails on my iPhone XS sometimes display properly and sometimes just show indecipherable lines of code? Even emails that initially were readable show as HTML some days later - it’s baffling me and I don’t know how to fix it - any advice would be really appreciated

Posted on Apr 16, 2021 7:02 PM

2 replies

Apr 16, 2021 7:37 PM in response to koalasquash

Most mail uses what’s called MIME-encoded multipart mail with most clients sending both HTML formatted messages and plain text.

Quit mail and restart, and test again. See: Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

Failing that... Restart your iPhone, and try viewing the mail again. See Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Failing that... If you have an add-on VPN client, or add-on ad-blocking, or add-on anti-malware installed on your iPhone, remove it, and restart, and try again.

Is this one mail server, or—if you have several mail accounts configured—more than one server? If this is just one mail server, see if the mail renders correctly in the web mail interface that most vendors provide.

If the above doesn’t work, stop back again with an update—if the above don’t sort this, then this case might be heading toward a reset and reload, but that wouldn’t be my initial course here.

Apr 16, 2021 7:10 PM in response to koalasquash

koalasquash Said:

"Emails showing HTML code: Does anybody know why emails on my iPhone XS sometimes display properly and sometimes just show indecipherable lines of code? Even emails that initially were readable show as HTML some days later - it’s baffling me and I don’t know how to fix it - any advice would be really appreciated"

-------

The iOS may be Corrupt:

Do you have a backup of your iPhone prior to all over this? If so, then restore from the backup. If not, then know to always backup your iPhone, prior to making any major changes to is, and to avoid uses like this.

Emails showing HTML code

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.