Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I see files from the Files iPad app on my Mac?

I have connected my iPad to my Mac. I have selected the iPad from the sidebar in Explorer, and can see files from apps like Procreate, GarageBand, illustrator, etc. However I cannot see the files stored 'on my iPad', which you can normally see in the Files app on iPad.

Am I missing something? Shouldn't I be able to see these files? Otherwise how am I getting them off my iPad?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 17, 2021 4:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 2:23 AM

That's absolutely tragic. What a backwards system!

I'm aware that I can use iCloud or airdrop, but these seem like unnecessary methods when the thing is connected by a **** cable. I appreciate the answers anyway!

8 replies

Apr 20, 2021 2:14 PM in response to WesleyRiot

WesleyRiot,

You're very welcome. To transfer files stored locally on your iPad, you would need to create a copy of the locally stored files and move them to iCloud Drive. You can also move your locally stored files to iCloud Drive without making a copy, if you'd prefer.

You can also use AirDrop and Handoff to transfer files stored locally on your iPad to your Mac. These links can help:

If you have any additional questions specific to locally stored files on your iPad, please Contact Apple Support.

Thanks!

Apr 18, 2021 8:56 AM in response to WesleyRiot

Hello WesleyRiot,

We understand you're unable to locate files you've saved on your iPad when using Finder on your Mac.

You can transfer files for apps that support file sharing by connecting your iPad to your Mac. Please see how to Transfer files between iPad and your computer for additional details on how to transfer from iPad to Mac.

If you're still unable to locate files you've stored on your iPad after clicking the disclosure triangle beside each app name you're able to see in Finder, and you're using macOS 10.15 or later, please let us know which app you originally used to create these files on your iPad. We'll use these details to determine how to proceed.

If needed, please see how to Find out which macOS your Mac is using.

Cheers!

Apr 20, 2021 6:45 AM in response to WesleyRiot

WesleyRiot,

Thanks for confirming this for us. Since files are stored locally on your iPad, you can create a copy of the locally stored files and move them to iCloud Drive. If you don't want to create a copy, you can move files stored locally to iCloud Drive. For steps on how to copy or move files, please see those sections in how to Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

For other ways to share, please see how to Use the Finder to share files between your Mac and your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch.

Thanks again!

Apr 19, 2021 12:42 AM in response to 1ssmith

The files were created sing various apps - procreate, affinity designer etc - and some of them were files downloaded from the browser or file syncing apps, for example images, font files, PDFs etc. On the iPad I can find these files by going into the files app and selecting "on my iPad" but none of these files are visible in explorer on the iMac.

I am using macOS 11.2.3 and iOS 14.4.2

Why can't I see files from the Files iPad app on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.