Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch, iPhone, Sony Bluetooth earbuds

My wife has an iPhone, Apple Watch SE, and Sony Bluetooth noise cancelling earbuds. She has not set up the cell connection on the watch. Instead she has been using it through the connection to the iPhone.

1) is the watch capable of a direct WiFi connection to the iPhone? (Away from any known or usable WiFi access)

2) if not, then it must rely on Bluetooth?

3) if it is already connected to the iPhone via Bluetooth, then how can the watch also make a Bluetooth connection to the earbuds? Doesn’t seem possible.

Thanks,

-Bob

Apple Watch

Posted on Apr 17, 2021 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 8:53 AM

Rjstrand wrote:
My wife has an iPhone, Apple Watch SE, and Sony Bluetooth noise cancelling earbuds. She has not set up the cell connection on the watch. Instead she has been using it through the connection to the iPhone.

1) is the watch capable of a direct WiFi connection to the iPhone? (Away from any known or usable WiFi access)

No. Ad-hoc WiFi connections is not possible. If Both the iPhone and Apple Watch are on the same WiFi network, they can use WiFi if they are out of Bluetooth range. But if away from WiFi, and the iPhone is nearby, the Apple Watch will use Bluetooth. The Apple Watch actually prefers using Bluetooth, as it is the lowest power demand radio, which is important to extend the life of the Apple Watch battery during the day.

When away from shared WiFi, yes, Bluetooth is how the Apple Watch and iPhone keep in communication.

3) if it is already connected to the iPhone via Bluetooth, then how can the watch also make a Bluetooth connection to the earbuds? Doesn’t seem possible.

The most difficult thing most people run into with Bluetooth headphones/earbuds is putting them into "Discovery" mode.

I've successfully paired 4 different Bluetooth devices to my Apple Watch. Sony over ear noise cancelling Bluetooth headphones, two 16 year old Bluetooth headphones, and my Apple AirPods.

In all but the AirPods, my hardest task was finding the instructions to put them into Discovery mode. Especially the 16 year old headphones (lots of Google searching).

Once I got the headphones into Disovery mode, the Apple Watch saw the devices and paired via Apple Watch -> Settings -> Bluetooth.

So either find the instructions that came with the Sony Bluetooth noise cancelling earbuds, or start Googling for the user's manual

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2021 8:53 AM in response to Rjstrand

Rjstrand wrote:

No. Ad-hoc WiFi connections is not possible. If Both the iPhone and Apple Watch are on the same WiFi network, they can use WiFi if they are out of Bluetooth range. But if away from WiFi, and the iPhone is nearby, the Apple Watch will use Bluetooth. The Apple Watch actually prefers using Bluetooth, as it is the lowest power demand radio, which is important to extend the life of the Apple Watch battery during the day.

When away from shared WiFi, yes, Bluetooth is how the Apple Watch and iPhone keep in communication.

The most difficult thing most people run into with Bluetooth headphones/earbuds is putting them into "Discovery" mode.

I've successfully paired 4 different Bluetooth devices to my Apple Watch. Sony over ear noise cancelling Bluetooth headphones, two 16 year old Bluetooth headphones, and my Apple AirPods.

In all but the AirPods, my hardest task was finding the instructions to put them into Discovery mode. Especially the 16 year old headphones (lots of Google searching).

Once I got the headphones into Disovery mode, the Apple Watch saw the devices and paired via Apple Watch -> Settings -> Bluetooth.

So either find the instructions that came with the Sony Bluetooth noise cancelling earbuds, or start Googling for the user's manual

Apr 17, 2021 10:58 PM in response to Rjstrand

BT on a device is capable of connecting to multiple devices.

For example, my M1 Mac mini is connected to a keyboard, trackpad and speakers all at the same time via BT.

My iPhone is connected to my Watch, Airpods Max and my glucometer, all via BT

M1 Mac mini, macOS 11.2.3; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 7.3.3; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 14.4.2; iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14.4.2; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14.4.2; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 14.3  HomePods, audioOS 14.3 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Apple Watch, iPhone, Sony Bluetooth earbuds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.