Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google search engine turns into yahoo randomly

I was searching in my 21.5" iMac when suddenly search engine turned into yahoo! I went to safari preferences and I saw that it was set to google. I attempted to search again but got the same result. I changed to duckduckgo and now my search engine was duckduckgo! I changed back to google and it was yahoo. I saw many articles and did what they said but it was no use. I tried blocking yahoo from system prefrences>screen time>content and privacy>content>limit adult content>customize. But now when I search for anything, it says website blocked. So I unblocked it. I noticed that this websitec ***. I think it is a virus. I tried blocking it but then I got the same result as when I blocked yahoo. There is this weird mysterious app on my Mac it looks like this: 

I have no idea what it does! This all started when I installed grammerly for safari but now it is deleted.

I tried to download chrome but it won't open. I tried deleting safari but found out that it was not on the App Store. I really don't know what to do. This is a quick Screen Recording of what happens...

It first is google, then it goes to this website, http://search.x6b4l.com. Then (I didn't catch it in the video) it turns into yahoo. Please help me. About this Mac is below. Thanks!

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 17, 2021 7:00 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 18, 2021 11:19 AM in response to MrHelpx

Did you try using the link Niel posted to get Malwarebytes and then run Malwarebytes? The program is very good at finding malware on your computer and that is normally the cause of what you are seeing.

To reinstall Safari, do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart). Run Disk Utility and select First Aid. Then re-install the OS.

Reinstall from macOS Recovery.    

OS X Recovery.    

Google search engine turns into yahoo randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.