You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple celebrates 10 years of Apple Pay. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add card to Apple Wallet for a teen on my family sharing

Hi all,

my teenage son who is on my family sharing got his own bank card (so he can use his pocket money).

When trying to add his card to his Apple Wallet, there is the +, but when clicking on it, we get an error message.

He is 13, and the card do support Apple Pay.

I tried to change location and put it back to the correct support country, tried logging out and log back in ...

Anyone know what is the problem?

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 12:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 8:44 AM

I am just back from the bank, and no, there is no restriction on his card.

They also looked at the Apple Wallet app, and when clicking on the + got the error message.

They said Apple doesn't know yet what card he has since he cannot put the card on the wallet, so the problem doesn't come from the card but indeed from Apple.

Do you have an idea how to fix this?

Thank you,

Mike

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 20, 2021 8:44 AM in response to french_mike

I am just back from the bank, and no, there is no restriction on his card.

They also looked at the Apple Wallet app, and when clicking on the + got the error message.

They said Apple doesn't know yet what card he has since he cannot put the card on the wallet, so the problem doesn't come from the card but indeed from Apple.

Do you have an idea how to fix this?

Thank you,

Mike

Apr 18, 2021 6:35 PM in response to french_mike

Hello, french_mike.

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you’re attempting to add a card to Wallet on your son’s device, so he can take advantage of Apple Pay features. It sounds like you’ve done some troubleshooting, such as changing the country associated with his Apple ID, logging out and back into the Apple ID, etc. These are great steps when trying to resolve an Apple ID account issue. 

We urge you to review the bullets in the following article, paying special attention to the fine print. If you’re still not finding the answers you’re looking for, let us know the exact error message that you receive when you try to add his card.

If you can't add cards to Wallet to use with Apple Pay - Apple Support

Warmest Regards.

Apr 19, 2021 12:58 PM in response to french_mike

Mike,

You’re very welcome! We can tell that you’ve been proactive in attempting to add a card to his Wallet. 

You mentioned changing the country in your first post, and you may need to determine whether your country has different requirement. See the fine print at the bottom of this article for details regarding your country:

Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

We also suggest contacting your financial institution to see if they allow Apple Pay with a minor’s account. We understand that it works with your card, but some banks have restrictions set to block services like Apple Pay with a child account. 

Good luck!

Apr 19, 2021 7:49 AM in response to Ali_E1

Thank you Alicia,

I ready the bullets points and fine print, and the minimum age is apparently 13, my son is indeed 13.

I do have the same bank and card as my son, and it work for me. The system did not allow us to go that far and add the card anyway.

The error message is:

Could Not Set Up Apple Pay

An error occurred while setting up Apple Pay

Thank you for helping me, as the main point of creating this card for him was that he would not have to carry cash with him and use his phone (since he always have this with him).

Best,

Mike

Add card to Apple Wallet for a teen on my family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.