Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Click Wheel 4th Gen with iTunes

I recently decided to resurrect my old iPod. It is an original 4th Generation iPod, model MP103, the first iPod model to come with a clickwheel I believe. After sorting out all the hardware issues, the device now runs fine, however, I am having issues with syncing music to it through iTunes.

Note: I am running iTunes version 12.11.0.26, which is up to date, on Windows 10. It was downloaded from apple's website, not from the microsoft store (however the same issue happens with my laptop which has the microsoft version). The iOS version on the device is (up to date) 3.1.1.

The issue: When I plug in my iPod, with iTunes open, the small iPod click wheel icon appears greyed out in the top left corner for a moment, and then disappears. Windows explorer does recognise the devise and 'iPod' shows up as being connected in Explorer, but not in iTunes. If I close iTunes and repoen, same thing happens, the icon appears momentarily, then disappears. Hence, I cannot access my iPod through iTunes.

Some background info: Initially, after I had gotten the iPod working again, iTunes did recognise it, however, kept flagging errors when trying to copy music across. I think I managed to get 30 songs onto it after a number of attempts, but sometimes they didn't play properly on the device. Additionally, I could not restore the iPod in iTunes, as it kept given error 1413. Eventually, I erased the iPod in Windows explorer and iTunes recognised it as an iPod in recover mode and allowed me to restore. After this however, the aforementioned issue takes place. I can still erase the iPod from explorer and iTunes still recognises it in recovery mode, however, after restoring I cannot access it from iTunes. Additionally, if iTunes is closed and I plug in the iPod, iTunes opens, but the iPod icon disappears.

Can anyone help with this?

iPod Classic

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 3:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 4:52 AM

I actually solved the problem. It turns out that the software with which I managed to restore the iPod using iTunes was corrupt. iTunes must be pulling a bad version from the Apple servers. I downloaded and installed the iPod Updater 2006-01-10 (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL404?locale=en_ZA) and restored the iPod using that tool instead and now the iPod works fine. I did have to uninstall the utility afterwards to get iTunes to work properly again, but now my device is recognised and I can sync music to it. Thanks tt2 for your response.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2021 4:52 AM in response to turingtest2

I actually solved the problem. It turns out that the software with which I managed to restore the iPod using iTunes was corrupt. iTunes must be pulling a bad version from the Apple servers. I downloaded and installed the iPod Updater 2006-01-10 (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL404?locale=en_ZA) and restored the iPod using that tool instead and now the iPod works fine. I did have to uninstall the utility afterwards to get iTunes to work properly again, but now my device is recognised and I can sync music to it. Thanks tt2 for your response.

iPod Click Wheel 4th Gen with iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.