Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV not playing sounds through TV speakers when disconnected from HomePod mini.

My 2020 Apple TV 4K is connected to a Polaroid TV. About a week ago the sound stopped working through the TV speakers. When I tried connecting to my HomePod mini the sound would come out of both the HomePod and the TV speakers, and would go fully mute again when I disconnect from the HomePod. The HomePod is in another room so I don't want to use it for the TV. The sound also woks through my AirPods Pro.

I have tried unplugging the HDMI cable, restarting both the TV and Apple TV, and checking all sound setting on both TV and Apple TV.

Thank you for any help!

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 9:42 AM

When I tried connecting to my HomePod mini the sound would come out of both the HomePod and the TV speakers.

That is not supposed to happen with video sources, and only be possible for music and other audio-only (stereo/mono) sources.

The default audio output format is Auto (PCM Multichannel), which may or may not be supported by your TV (or audio system). Try the alternatives (1) Dolby Digital 5.1 and (2) Stereo, to see if that makes a difference.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2021 9:42 AM in response to MaxCyg

When I tried connecting to my HomePod mini the sound would come out of both the HomePod and the TV speakers.

That is not supposed to happen with video sources, and only be possible for music and other audio-only (stereo/mono) sources.

The default audio output format is Auto (PCM Multichannel), which may or may not be supported by your TV (or audio system). Try the alternatives (1) Dolby Digital 5.1 and (2) Stereo, to see if that makes a difference.

Apple TV not playing sounds through TV speakers when disconnected from HomePod mini.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.