Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac will not allow me to erase the hard drive I need help I just bought a new Mac mini

I need to erase my hard drive and prepare it to ship back to Apple

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 12:08 PM

Are you booting in Restore Mode?

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904#notupdated

Decide whether to erase (format) your disk

If you need to erase your disk before installing macOS, select Disk Utility from the Utilities window, then click Continue. You probably don't need to erase, unless you're selling or giving away your Mac or have an issue that requires you to erase. Learn more about when and how to erase.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2021 12:08 PM in response to Scottdonar

Are you booting in Restore Mode?

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904#notupdated

Decide whether to erase (format) your disk

If you need to erase your disk before installing macOS, select Disk Utility from the Utilities window, then click Continue. You probably don't need to erase, unless you're selling or giving away your Mac or have an issue that requires you to erase. Learn more about when and how to erase.

My iMac will not allow me to erase the hard drive I need help I just bought a new Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.