You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop "TuneIn" autoplaying radio when I connect to bluetooth?

Ever since getting an iPhone SE on iOS 14 (previously iPhone 6 on iOS 12) whenever I get in my car, the phone automatically connects to bluetooth, as it should, but then starts playing Heart Radio via "TuneIn". Now, I don't have a TuneIn app installed and never have, and when I tap the "now playing" in control centre it opens the iOS Music app. I've never asked it to do this, never had TuneIn installed, never selected or listened to Heart Radio and I don't live in or near Luton, Beds (which is a place in the UK for those that don't know) so I really have no idea why it's doing it but I'd really love to know how to stop it. Prior to this, it would often start playing either that last app I was using for music (usually the Planet Rock radio app, or the Music app with either the last song playing or it'll start on a random song), which is fine - I'm happy for that to continue. But I don't want whatever this this is.

Any ideas?

iPhone SE

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 3:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 6:17 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply. I should have been more clear - I do not have (nor ever have had) the TuneIn app installed on my phone. When it autostarts "Hearts - Beds" radio, if I tap it it takes me to the standard inbuilt iOS Music app, despite saying "From TuneIn". There appears to be no options in the Music app relating to TuneIn hence why I can't see a way to stop this happening.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 20, 2021 6:17 AM in response to chris_g1

Hi, thanks for the reply. I should have been more clear - I do not have (nor ever have had) the TuneIn app installed on my phone. When it autostarts "Hearts - Beds" radio, if I tap it it takes me to the standard inbuilt iOS Music app, despite saying "From TuneIn". There appears to be no options in the Music app relating to TuneIn hence why I can't see a way to stop this happening.

Apr 20, 2021 7:16 AM in response to ryane77

Thanks again for the reply. I think you’ve missed the point of my question. Auto play is not the issue: it auto plays 9/10 when I get in the car for the past 6 years (either the last music app I used, such as Planet Rock app) or musician synced to the phone via the Music app. The problem is the Music app is auto playing Heart radio “via TuneIn” (which I’ve never had and currently do not have installed) and I’ve not asked it to do that. I don’t mind it auto playing my music, I don’t want it auto playing a radio station (Heart is a nationwide radio station here in the UK) that a) I didn’t ask for, b) I never have played, and c) seemingly has no way of turning off.

I do not have CarPlay, I have a very basic Bluetooth system in an old car that never had a problem with any version of iOS up to 12. The problem here is purely and specifically the Music app deciding to play Heart radio when I get in my car.

Apr 20, 2021 6:14 AM in response to MattCowan01

Hey there, MattCowan01. Thanks for reaching out.

It sounds like you're having an app automatically start up when your iPhone connects to your car. We can help.

You mentioned that you don't recall installing the TuneIn app, but since it is appearing despite that, that's a good place to start. If you tap Settings and scroll to the bottom, you'll see a list of all the configurable apps on your device. Do you see TuneIn listed here?

If you do, you have some options. First, you can select the app from the Settings screen and see what options are available here. Additionally, if the app is installed, we can open the app directly and customize its behavior as well. If you have app-specific questions, here's How to contact an app developer for assistance.

Lastly, if you aren't planning on keeping the app, you can remove it by following the steps in Delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

Give that a try, and see if there is any improvement.

Take care!

Apr 20, 2021 6:57 AM in response to MattCowan01

Thanks for the clarification, MattCowan01.

When it comes to how Bluetooth is handled, there can be a wide difference of behaviors and supported features between different manufacturers, but also different model and years of the car you are using your iPhone with. Depending on the age of your car, and the features the manufacturer makes available, this could be expected behavior.

Some suggestions that may help include:

• Updating your iPhone to the current iOS version, and also updating the firmware of your car's stereo as well.
  • Turning off Bluetooth, and Use CarPlay with your iPhone with a USB cable instead.

Give those steps a try, and if you are still running into difficulty, reach out to your car's manufacturer for assistance. If they confirm that the features should work the way you expect, be sure to ask them about the device and configuration that they are using. That way if their firmware only supports up to a certain iPhone model or iOS version, you can narrow down what might be actually happening and be more likely to solve the issue.

Take care!

How do I stop "TuneIn" autoplaying radio when I connect to bluetooth?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.