Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what are the essential accessories to keep your MacBook safe.

1) Is it necessary to put a screen protect, there are often marks of the keyboard on the screen ?

2) is a keyboard cover necessary for saving it from dust or rubbing of letters?

3) the outer cover to protect the hardware from any damages?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2021 12:43 AM

Hi , :

1) no

2) no

3) no .

On my old mbp mid2014 until last week , never used and no damage on mt mbp . Now I have a M1 mbp and no cover or screen protector . The screen is not touch so it's useless . Some screen protector , furthermore , damage the screen , leaving halos, it happened to me on another mbp and from there I decided not to use them anymore. Keep in mind that the external covers often protect against scratches but cause dirt to accumulate and, if it were to fall, it would still crack;) Save your money

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2021 12:43 AM in response to pranjalmashilkar

Hi , :

1) no

2) no

3) no .

On my old mbp mid2014 until last week , never used and no damage on mt mbp . Now I have a M1 mbp and no cover or screen protector . The screen is not touch so it's useless . Some screen protector , furthermore , damage the screen , leaving halos, it happened to me on another mbp and from there I decided not to use them anymore. Keep in mind that the external covers often protect against scratches but cause dirt to accumulate and, if it were to fall, it would still crack;) Save your money

Apr 19, 2021 4:39 PM in response to pranjalmashilkar

The only thing I do is keep it in a nice padded case when I'm traveling. The one I use is from SF Bags and I have purchased several over the years from them in various sizes depending on the version of MacBook I have. Great Company, super service and quality products.

https://www.sfbags.com

I never ever use Windex or any harsh cleaners on the display and only wipe the screen with a lint free micro fiber cloth and the lightest mist of "Quality" Screen / Monitor cleaner. A soft bristle detail brush is what I use for dust, pet hair on the keyboard and an occasional blast of keyboard compressed air.

For cleaning the finger oils from the keyboard I will spray a bit of 409 on the corner of a micro fiber cloth and gently wipe the affected keys once I have Shutdown the MacBook.

If in the future you have an individual key that may need replacement take a look at https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com - I've used them in the past on replacing a few keys on my wife's MacBook.

The last caution I would advise is keep any and all beverage on another table or area. Spilled liquids and MacBooks do not play nice. It's one thing to ruin a keyboard but a whole different level when you ruin a MacBook.

what are the essential accessories to keep your MacBook safe.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.