Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Monitor crashing MacBook Pro

My LG 27" (27UK850)external monitor seems to cause a "panic" and crashes my Mac. It's happening daily at this point. Has anyone been having the same issue? Is there anything we can do to prevent this?

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2021 7:06 PM

You have an excellent setup and from what I can see on Amazon reviews, this does generally work with Macs.

There are many possible troubleshooting steps, including switching cables, trying different ports, resetting the power manager, reinstalling macOS, etc. I would encourage you to reach out to Apple Support on this if that's still an option so they can walk you through the various protocols.

UPDATE: I just read a bit further on this and seems this monitor does have significant issues for some users on macOS Catalina, which you are on. You can read those reviews here. It does seem that may be a problem unit. You could still try to reach out to LG or Apple, but you might have to consider returning it. Sorry for the bad news and good luck!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2021 7:06 PM in response to brickyardwest

You have an excellent setup and from what I can see on Amazon reviews, this does generally work with Macs.

There are many possible troubleshooting steps, including switching cables, trying different ports, resetting the power manager, reinstalling macOS, etc. I would encourage you to reach out to Apple Support on this if that's still an option so they can walk you through the various protocols.

UPDATE: I just read a bit further on this and seems this monitor does have significant issues for some users on macOS Catalina, which you are on. You can read those reviews here. It does seem that may be a problem unit. You could still try to reach out to LG or Apple, but you might have to consider returning it. Sorry for the bad news and good luck!

Apr 19, 2021 6:07 PM in response to brickyardwest

Hey there, more info will likely be needed to help with this:

1. What is the model of the MacBook Pro (go to the Apple menu & select "About This Mac"
  2. What version of macOS are you on? (again, "About This Mac)
  3. What sort of connection are you using? e.g. HDMI to an adaptor?

Be sure that whatever version of macOS you are on, that it's up to date by checking in Apple menu>System Preferences>Software Updates. Do be careful, however, to first upDATE and not necessarily upGRADE if you are not on macOS Big Sur. The latter can look like an update, but is a full fledged OS upgrade. There are a lot of changes in Big Sur and if you are not already on it, you may lose functionality with incompatible software. Updates, however, should be largely safe to do.

If you are using one type of connection, try the other option e.g. if you're using HDMI to USB C, try USB C direct.

That's quite a nice, high end monitor. If you just purchased it, you should be able to look to LG for support. Depending on the age of your Mac, you may also still have AppleCare.

Good luck!

Apr 19, 2021 6:20 PM in response to thisjusten

Thank you so much for helping.

I'm connecting via USB-C direct - as that will also charge my MacBook Pro, saving me a port, and my understanding is that for video editing, that is the fastest connection to my monitor for 4K. It is indeed a great screen, and my photo and video edits have benefitted from it...

I'm running Catalina 10.15.7 on a 2018 15" MacBook Pro, with resolution of 3200-1800 in clamshell mode.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1

Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i9

Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 12 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 32 GB

External Monitor crashing MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.