Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch 3 is refusing to pair with my iPhone 12

I just purchased an iPhone 12 and I am trying to pair it with my existing Apple Watch 3. The watch has been unpaired from my old phone which is now reset to factory and awaiting return to my Apple Store. When I initiate the pairing, I am able to use the 2D moving barcode to connect the two devices but then I am stuck in an endless loop with the phone saying it is connecting, then both phone and watch returning the new pairing screen.

Ideas welcome!

Thanks

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 3:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 6:15 AM

A workaround for this used to be to try and pair with a phone with ios12 or 13,then update as far as you can,then unpair the watch and pair it to your ios14 phone.

Might be worth a try as you've tried just about everything else.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2021 6:15 AM in response to wallbasher

A workaround for this used to be to try and pair with a phone with ios12 or 13,then update as far as you can,then unpair the watch and pair it to your ios14 phone.

Might be worth a try as you've tried just about everything else.

Apr 21, 2021 4:07 AM in response to wallbasher

If it doesn't pair then follow all the steps in this link;

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else – Apple Support

Or this;

To unpair and erase watch and remove Activation Lock.

On a computer, go to iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID.

Go to Find Iphone.

Select All Devices, then click your Apple Watch.

Click Erase Apple Watch.

Select Next until the device is erased.

Click the remove button next to your Apple Watch.

Then go here;

Pair the watch with my new phone.

Apr 21, 2021 4:30 AM in response to Community User

Thanks @fieryjack.

There is no trace of my watch against my AppleID now (to be fair I removed that yesterday before I started this)

I have initiated another pairing process:

Used the 2D barcode

Chose "Skip the Update and Continue" (I have tried the upgrade route and it just takes longer to get to the same outcome)

Got the "Your Apple Watch Is Paired" screen and chose "set Up as New Apple Watch"

Got the "Wrist Preference" screen and chose "Left"

Got the "Connecting your Apple Watch. This may take a moment." screen.

Then after about 60 seconds I am back to this:

My Apple Watch 3 is refusing to pair with my iPhone 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.