Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the latest on frame reordering?

Greetings,

Some files I can't get into Final Cut at all! So I'm converting these with QuickTime7. But should I use Frame Reordering? What advantage does it have? Best I can tell is a tiny reduction in file size. (I thought there was something about easier reverse playing, involving GOP or something like that, but is that still relevant?)

Regarding exporting using QT7 you get File > Export > Options > Settings > Frame Reordering

Larry Jordan wrote an article about this in 2009:

https://larryjordan.com/articles/quicktime-frame-reordering-explained/

In it he says to always use it. But then there are two comments from 2012. One says that the iPod, iPod Touch, and iPhone don't support it! And the other says that YouTube recommends against it! Presently YouTube recommends on page https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en#zippy=%2Cvideo-codec-h to use 2 consecutive B frames. Would that be the same as setting Key Frames to every 2 frames? Actually, I've been using Final Cut to upload videos to YouTube, so I assume it automatically takes care of all the settings.

So is there any point is using it? In my trial the size difference is negligible. Is it always?

I ask as it's now almost a decade later. TIA!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 10:06 AM

One says that the iPod, iPod Touch, and iPhone don't support it!

Old news. That was for mobile devices from 2008. That is original iPhone (1st generation) era.

And the other says that YouTube recommends against it!

And now their recommended settings don’t mention it (i.e. indifference).

Presently YouTube recommends to use 2 consecutive B frames. Would that be the same as setting Key Frames to every 2 frames?

No, “2 consecutive B frames” means IPBBPBBPBBPBI is allowed, but IPBBBBPBBBBPI is not.

So is there any point is using it? In my trial the size difference is negligible. Is it always?

Re-ordering makes it a bit harder for the encoder, and a bit easier (faster) for the decoder. That is the intent, for low end devices, for as far as they are programmed to handle that. Only important for the delivery format that end users get to see. Not important for YouTube, as YouTube re-encodes everything that comes in anyway.

ask as it's now almost a decade later. TIA!

Devices are more powerful now, and will have less issue with codecs that were computational ‘difficult’ a decode ago. Do or don’t, it doesn’t matter to anyone else.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2021 10:06 AM in response to betaneptune

One says that the iPod, iPod Touch, and iPhone don't support it!

Old news. That was for mobile devices from 2008. That is original iPhone (1st generation) era.

And the other says that YouTube recommends against it!

And now their recommended settings don’t mention it (i.e. indifference).

Presently YouTube recommends to use 2 consecutive B frames. Would that be the same as setting Key Frames to every 2 frames?

No, “2 consecutive B frames” means IPBBPBBPBBPBI is allowed, but IPBBBBPBBBBPI is not.

Re-ordering makes it a bit harder for the encoder, and a bit easier (faster) for the decoder. That is the intent, for low end devices, for as far as they are programmed to handle that. Only important for the delivery format that end users get to see. Not important for YouTube, as YouTube re-encodes everything that comes in anyway.

ask as it's now almost a decade later. TIA!

Devices are more powerful now, and will have less issue with codecs that were computational ‘difficult’ a decode ago. Do or don’t, it doesn’t matter to anyone else.

What's the latest on frame reordering?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.