You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 2021 RAM

What is the reason behind the ram upgrade when you buy a 1TB or 2TB iPad pro. Is it possible you need more ram when you have more SDD memory or is there another reason?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 1:17 PM

14 replies

Apr 21, 2021 2:52 PM in response to Andres6b

What are you talking about?

There are no internal RAM upgrades or increases in larger iPad Pro storage models.

The current 2020 iPad Pro storage models all have the same amount of internal processing RAM, which is 6 GBs of RAM.

I expect the 2021 iPad Pro models will also have the same amount internal processing RAM, whatever that will be across all the newest 2021 storage models.

Apple ONLY increased the internal processing RAM in the 2018 1TB iPad Pro storage models.

Apple stopped doing this when the 2020 iPad Pro models were introduced.

I expect/assume, this trend of putting the same amount of internal processing in all iPad Pro storage models to continue for 2021.

Apr 21, 2021 4:02 PM in response to stedman1

Yeah,

I already found them on the specs page, too.

Not sure why iPad Pro needs 16 GBs of RAM ( vs 8 GBs for the lower storage models ) for the 1 and 2 TB models.

Maybe to further justify the very high end pricing for these 12.9 inch screen models.

Maybe to help better drive the XDR graphics in the 12.9 inch screen models?

Those iPad Pro models with 16 GBs of RAM should be quite fast.

Apr 21, 2021 4:02 PM in response to Andres6b

Andres6b wrote:

The 128, 256 and 512 gb iPad pro’s (2021) have 8 gb of RAM AND THE 1 and 2 gb iPad pro’s have 16 gb RAM.
i read this on the apple site so its 100% real

You are quite correct. Whilst Apple have not chosen to routinely publish the RAM configuration of iPad, specifications for the 2021 models of iPad Pro clearly state RAM as 8GB - rising to 16GB for the 1TB and 2TB storage models.

The the 1TB and 2TB models appear to be aimed at very high-end graphics and video editing applications - the latter, for example, requiring more RAM for editing and rendering multiple video streams. The iPadOS system architecture tries to keep RAM fully utilised at all times, as this directly relates to overall system performance.

Apr 21, 2021 4:07 PM in response to stedman1

I, also, noticed that the 11 inch screen iPad Pro ( which I am highly interested in because of price and I need an increase in storage to 512 GBs and will be a screen size downgrade from my current 256 GBs storage, 12.9 inch iPad Pro ) does NOT have the XDR display and does not have the 1000-1600 Nits brightness display.

So, I am torn as to just how much better the XDR screen will be for a much larger cost for the new 12.9 inch screen models.

Apr 21, 2021 4:25 PM in response to LotusPilot

These iPad Pro models are a serious game changer for iPad Pro and I am seriously considering a new iPad Pro ( mine are 6 years old now and battery life is starting to be an issue on both of them ) and these iPad Pro models are as powerful now as any entry level iMac or MacBook now and still much more compact.

If I stick with a 12.9 inch screen, 512 GBs iPad Pro with Pencil AND AppleCare+, that is a HUUUGE outlay of cash.

I had sticker shock when I purchased and paid over $1K for my original 12.9 inch iPad Pro.

I really can't image spending $1600-$1700, plus extra for a case for a 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro.

So, to keep my costs down and to get a larger storage iPad Pro, I may have to consider going for the smaller, 11 inch screen i)ad Pro to keep costs down as much as possible.

I use my iPad Pros now for mostly personal graphics, artworks and video projects.

I will just have to get used to using a much smaller screen, if I decide to purchase soon.

Decisions, decisions.

Apr 21, 2021 4:32 PM in response to Andres6b

Nobody within the Apple Support Communities have any insight into Apple’s product development roadmap or release programmes. The Terms of Use that govern participation within these Support Communities disallows any form of direct speculation.

That said, each new major iteration of iOS/iPadOS has historically demonstrated heavier demands upon the available system resources. Whilst details of iPadOS15 are yet to be revealed at the next WWDC Developers Conference, it is perhaps reasonable to assume that tis next major iteration will be no different.

Similarly, each new generation of iPad has brought enhancements to system hardware - often needed to support new software features and functionality. The new models of iPad Pro follow this pattern - as will future models. Enhancements to core system capabilities (such as CPU, GPU and RAM) will always keep the then current model lineup able to fully utilise the current and next iPadOS update cycle - whilst older models may have restricted functionality, or be unable to update due to inadequate system resources.

As such, I see the increase in system resources for the new models to be little more than natural evolution of the product lineup - offering superior performance for the “Pro” models. Other models were approaching (and exceeding) the performance capabilities of the previous iPad Pro models; a substantial boost for the flagship models was overdue.

Apr 21, 2021 4:34 PM in response to Andres6b

I, already own two older 2015/2016 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro models ( one purchased brand new in 2016 and one purchased about 18 months, ago, much cheaper ).

I had SERIOUS sticker shock purchasing a $1K iPad then!

Really do not want to spend too much more than this now on a brand new 2021 iPad Pro.

At this time in my life and my own finances, I cannot justify a $1500-$2000 for a much larger internal storage capacity, 12.9 inch iPad Pro.

So, I really hsve no choice but to downgrade the screen size to the 11 inch screen iPad Pro models in order to get an increase in internal data storage size, AppleCare+ and an Pencil.

Apr 21, 2021 4:37 PM in response to LotusPilot

LotusPilot wrote:

Nobody within the Apple Support Communities have any insight into Apple’s product development roadmap or release programmes. The Terms of Use that govern participation within these Support Communities disallows any form of direct speculation.

That said, each new major iteration of iOS/iPadOS has historically demonstrated heavier demands upon the available system resources. Whilst details of iPadOS15 are yet to be revealed at the next WWDC Developers Conference, it is perhaps reasonable to assume that tis next major iteration will be no different.

Similarly, each new generation of iPad has brought enhancements to system hardware - often needed to support new software features and functionality. The new models of iPad Pro follow this pattern - as will future models. Enhancements to core system capabilities (such as CPU, GPU and RAM) will always keep the then current model lineup able to fully utilise the current and next iPadOS update cycle - whilst older models may have restricted functionality, or be unable to update due to inadequate system resources.

As such, I see the increase in system resources for the new models to be little more than natural evolution of the product lineup - offering superior performance for the “Pro” models. Other models were approaching (and exceeding) the performance capabilities of the previous iPad Pro models; a substantial boost for the flagship models was overdue.

Quite right about all of that.

iPad Pro 2021 RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.