Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Startup Sound Not Playing

Recently I noticed my MacBook Pro doesn't make the startup chime anymore.

I have not had an update recently so I am not sure what has changed.

Any suggestions?

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Serial Number]

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 2:03 PM

I appreciate the feedback.

I was troubleshooting a bit and I guess if you have your speakers muted when you shutdown the computer they remain muted even for startup volume.

I adjusted my volume after logged into macOS and it started playing again.

Thanks.

5 replies

Apr 21, 2021 2:00 PM in response to Cruzermur

dom-cary Said:

"MacBook Startup Sound Not Playing: Recently I noticed my MacBook Pro doesn't make the startup chime anymore. I have not had an update recently so I am not sure what has changed."

-------

Reset NVRAM and SMC:

Reset the NVRAM and then reset the SMC, of your Mac. Sometimes, changes are made to your system, and then settings (i.e. for the speakers) become manipulated, technically. So, when that happens, reset these to get things to operate as they should. It might take unto three tries to get it to work successfully.

Apr 21, 2021 2:04 PM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles wrote:

Reset NVRAM and SMC:
Reset the NVRAM and then reset the SMC, of your Mac. Sometimes, changes are made to your system, and then settings (i.e. for the speakers) become manipulated, technically. So, when that happens, reset these to get things to operate as they should. It might take unto three tries to get it to work successfully.

FWIW, there is no SMC or NVRAM on an M1 Mac to reset.

MacBook Startup Sound Not Playing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.