Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac memory card reader

My iMac (OS Big Sur 11.2.3) has stopped showing any memory card from any camera I own when I plug it into the card reader. It doesn't show up on the desktop, nor in Finder. Each time I need to download photos, this is a problem. Since it doesn't show up anywhere, I can't eject it when I'm finished so I always get the "Failed to Eject Properly" message, so the computer does know something was there. Since I can't see the icon anywhere, I can't open the cards. Sometimes if I remove and replace the card several times, it eventually shows up, but this can compromise the images. What can I do?

Karen

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 2:31 PM

Bring up the Finder app and go into your Finder menu and choose Preferences.

On the General tab you can indicate if you want external disks displayed as an icon on your desktop.

In the Sidebar tab you can turn on "External disks" to show up in your Favorites list.

You can also use Disk Utility app to unmount/eject SD cards, but Finder is generally preferable. If it's being glitchy you may need to go into the Disk Utility to unmount it, then re-mount it.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2021 2:31 PM in response to karen bfromnaples

Bring up the Finder app and go into your Finder menu and choose Preferences.

On the General tab you can indicate if you want external disks displayed as an icon on your desktop.

In the Sidebar tab you can turn on "External disks" to show up in your Favorites list.

You can also use Disk Utility app to unmount/eject SD cards, but Finder is generally preferable. If it's being glitchy you may need to go into the Disk Utility to unmount it, then re-mount it.

Apr 21, 2021 3:26 PM in response to karen bfromnaples

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Apr 21, 2021 5:27 PM in response to karen bfromnaples

You would want to see if the SD CARD is detected well, mounts, and unmounts in the Disk U utility app. And you would want to try a different SD Card as well before concluding anything. Something the Mac can be a bit finicky in recognizing the SD Card, however if apply gentle upward pressure or gentle downward pressure gets the SD Card to be recognized then it is the reader itself.

Most likely though, assuming it's not hardware, you should try ejecting (i.e. un-mounting) in Disk Utility. Unlike trying to eject normally from Finder, unmounting from Disk Utility app will usually tell you which specific process/app is locking the card. Also, even Disk Utility it says it can't unmount it because ______ app has it locked, trying again in another 30 seconds will usually allow you to safely unmount it.

imac memory card reader

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.