Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac internal card reader

Hi,

I have a weird problem with the internal card reader of my 27-inch iMac 2017. Normally I import my photographs with Capture One Pro.

Since a couple of weeks when I plug in a SD-card the import window of C1P appears, showing all the images like it should do, but when I start to import the images it only imports a small number of photo's from the card. After 5, 20 or 25 images it stops and I get an error message. After each failed attempt I can't eject the card either. I have to force quit the card.

On other occasions it works just fine and imports all photographs.

To rule out the SD-card I tried several cards, both importing from C1P and directly to Mac OS Finder. Same problem. Sometimes it works, more often it doesn't, not card dependent.

To rule out a possible Capture One Pro failure, I tried copying images from the card to the Mac OS finder. Same problem, sometimes it works, sometimes it fails after a couple of images.

Finally I dug out an old USB external card readers by Hama, and every card I plug in just works fine, time after time. So I guess it's safe to say that it is the internal card reader that is causing the problem.

Any suggestions on how to fix this without having to send in the iMac?

Cheers,

Ivan

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 6:29 AM

Hi,

First of all, you'd better check your internal SD card reader which really malfunction with Apple Diagnostics if it reports SD card reader related error(VDC001, VDC003 to VDC007).

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 24, 2022 7:41 AM in response to kaz-k

Hi kaz-k

Thanks for your reply. I ran Apple Diagnostics and it didn't find a problem. I got the reference code: ADP000

After running Apple Diagnostics I tried importing again from 2 SD cards that both failed on me earlier today. I filled the cards with random shots from around the house and gave it a go via Capture One Pro.

The first card had 66 images and they all import fine and well. The second card had 150 images and the first 139 imported fine too. Then I got the error warning. The last 11 images didn't import. But this time I could eject the card. The second and third attempt to import were unsuccessful too.

Then I tried importing the last 11 images with the external USB card reader (still from within C1P) and it didn't work either. That was a first. To be sure, I tried copying these 11 images from the card to the finder, and behold that did work. So I tried importing the images that were now in the finder to Capture One Pro and that failed too. Is Capture One Pro the fault?

I restarted Capture One Pro and tried importing the last 11 images directly from the card in the internal card reader and it worked.

The randomness of the situation drives me crazy.

iMac internal card reader

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.