Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Faint grindy noise from inside laptop when scrolling on safari

So, I've owned this macbook (pro 13 inch 2020) since september 2020 and i noticed while scrolling i can hear a grindy noise from the top left area (i guess) of my keyboard.

I'm not sure if that is normal or if it's something i should get checked out while i'm still under warranty because i know DIY is not really an option down the line.

Is this something i should worry about? It only happens when loading new parts of the page and after the whole page has loaded it disappears but it's something that catches my attention constantly while online shopping and flipping trough pages or reading different articles

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2021 6:12 PM

It could be one of the fans. It definitely would be a good idea to get it checked out just to be safe. You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any issues are detected. Pay attention to see if the noise changes or gets worse or even disappears during the fan test where the diagnostics will stop the fan and spin it at low & high speed.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2021 6:12 PM in response to serdarcity

It could be one of the fans. It definitely would be a good idea to get it checked out just to be safe. You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any issues are detected. Pay attention to see if the noise changes or gets worse or even disappears during the fan test where the diagnostics will stop the fan and spin it at low & high speed.

Faint grindy noise from inside laptop when scrolling on safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.