Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur update won't download

The latest Big Sur update for my MacBook Air won't download. This has been going on for a while. It keeps on saying that the internet connection has been interrupted. But my internet and wi-fi are fine and working.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 22, 2021 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2021 5:01 PM

No, your internet and Wi-Fi are not fine and working or you would not be getting those messages. Your computer is telling you that something is wrong. First, Wi-Fi is not suitable for downloading operating system upgrades and updates. They are too large and Wi-Fi is too slow for accommodating these files. You likely need to download via a wired Ethernet connection to ensure a non corrupted download. If that is not possible, then you may have to do several downloads until you get a clean one that will install. Be sure to put any that won't install into the Trash and empty it.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2021 5:01 PM in response to Asvajit

No, your internet and Wi-Fi are not fine and working or you would not be getting those messages. Your computer is telling you that something is wrong. First, Wi-Fi is not suitable for downloading operating system upgrades and updates. They are too large and Wi-Fi is too slow for accommodating these files. You likely need to download via a wired Ethernet connection to ensure a non corrupted download. If that is not possible, then you may have to do several downloads until you get a clean one that will install. Be sure to put any that won't install into the Trash and empty it.

Apr 24, 2021 10:14 AM in response to Ronasara

I am having the same exact issue. You are not correct, internet IS fine, every single app update work fine for me, I am streaming TV with out issues. The only issue is Big Sur not downloading. After multiple phone calls with Apple Support it was determined that the issue is in this iMac. I'm backing everything up so I can call them back and perform a complete wipe and start all over with Big Sur. My original purchase iMac with High Sierra froze on initial boot up. Had to take it back to Best Buy and the Geekers couldn't make it work. Ordered me a new one and they had to boot it for me prior to taking deliver or they would have been issuing me a refund. Always something else to blame. iMacs are horrible these days and this is my last one. I'll say it again before you troll me. Apple Support has determined the problem is within the iMac. Worked fine on my internet connect through app store on a Mac Air via Wi-Fi. I can't make it happen via ethernet on the iMac.

Apr 24, 2021 10:27 AM in response to Asvajit

Follow instructions of @Ronasara.

If one can not get Ethernet and Have to use Wifi - iffy but doable. Shutdown computer. Shutdown Router. Disconnect ALL Other devices that use the Wifi. Restart Router. Move laptop as close to Router as possible. Restart laptop and Hold the - Shift - immediately. This is Safe Mode, does a Repair Disk, clears cache files and only loads Apple Software and Fonts. It will load slowly - normal. Once logged in it will look and perform differently - also normal. Open the Apple Apps Store and download the Full Installer.

Big Sur update won't download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.