Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music randomly plays a short part of next track between tracks

Every so often Apple Music will play a short burst of sound between tracks which is usually recognisable as a fraction of a second of the next track. I've experimented with crossfade settings, but without success. It doesn't seem to be between the same tracks, but just randomly.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 1:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 12:48 PM

Hi Tweagle,

Thanks for clarifying and double-checking just to see if it was a short track. Can you recreate the issue in another user account? Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support This can help rule out any issues with the account on the MacBook.

Also, are you using the built-in speakers? Can you see if this happens with headphones or other external speakers?

Are you currently doing anything on the MacBook while listening to music when this occurs? For example, other apps that may have audio as well like a web browser?

We did want to follow up on the question to find out if these are uploaded audio tracks via CD or are you an Apple Music subscriber? If you are an Apple Music subscriber, does this happen on any other device like an iPhone?

Best!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2021 12:48 PM in response to Tweagle

Hi Tweagle,

Thanks for clarifying and double-checking just to see if it was a short track. Can you recreate the issue in another user account? Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support This can help rule out any issues with the account on the MacBook.

Also, are you using the built-in speakers? Can you see if this happens with headphones or other external speakers?

Are you currently doing anything on the MacBook while listening to music when this occurs? For example, other apps that may have audio as well like a web browser?

We did want to follow up on the question to find out if these are uploaded audio tracks via CD or are you an Apple Music subscriber? If you are an Apple Music subscriber, does this happen on any other device like an iPhone?

Best!

Apr 24, 2021 5:48 AM in response to Tweagle

Hi Tweagle, 

It sounds like you're hearing a short sound between music tracks. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities. Let's see if this helps.

If you haven't already, let's restart your Mac and see if the issue remains. Here's a quick guide: Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac. A restart is a great step when experiencing unexpected behavior. 

If the issue remains after following those steps, let us know if this happens with the same album or multiple tracks. If it's only one album please let us know which album. Additionally, are you an Apple Music subscriber, or are these tracks ones that were imported differently. Lastly, if you turn on Notifications in Apple Music > Preferences > General > and check When Song Changes, can you attempt to see if there's a name of a track that appears as a notification when this happens? This will defintively rule out the possibility of this being a short audio track causing the issue. 

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

Apr 26, 2021 8:42 AM in response to Corrie84

Hi Corrie84

Thanks for your reply, and your suggestions.

The real problem here is that the event is so random, and not reproducible. If I notice it happening and replay the previous track, it doesn't happen in that same place again. My tracks are either mp3 or Apple Lossless, and I can't link it to either file type. It's not a short track that's playing, there's no notification, and the sound only lasts for a tiny fraction of a second. It doesn't happen all the time, so it's maybe not such a big deal, but it didn't happen before the latest version of Apple Music.

Thanks for trying!

May 8, 2021 3:39 AM in response to Alex_Han

Hi Alex_Han

Thanks for your response.

I have not noticed this occurring since my last posting, whereas it was happening regularly before – isn't it always the way? It was so random and non-reproducible that I could never be sure when it would happen.

There has been an upgrade to Music in the meantime, maybe that has helped? The other thing – thank you for the suggestion – is that it did seem to happen when I was playing through HomePod speakers, and I've had to reset them recently, so maybe that was it.

I'll flag it as question solved until it happens again!

Apple Music randomly plays a short part of next track between tracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.