Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

updates

I have a 2009 iMac and want to update it. is there a way I can update iMovie? I am running 10.1.6 and I want a newer version. I don't have the money to buy a new iMac. can I update this one?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 2:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 6:02 AM

The current iMovie version at the App Store requires macOS 10.15.6 or later.

You may be able to upgrade your iMac to High Sierra macOS 10.13. - I cannot tell from the year you mentioned if it is compatible, but see, if an upgrade is possible: See this page on how to download the system installer: How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

• High Sierra requires an iMac (Late 2009 or newer) - is that your iMac model?

: https://support.apple.com/kb/sp765?locale=en_GB

But even, if you can upgrade to High Sierra it is not certain, if the AppStore will offer you an iMovie version that will run on this system version. The AppStore will usually offer older versions for the previous system version, but not for several years back.

Make a full backup, if you try to upgrade to High Sierra, just in case your current iMovie version will. not work on High Sierra and you are not able to get answer version. You need to be able to revert to your current system version.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2021 6:02 AM in response to jwalker154

The current iMovie version at the App Store requires macOS 10.15.6 or later.

You may be able to upgrade your iMac to High Sierra macOS 10.13. - I cannot tell from the year you mentioned if it is compatible, but see, if an upgrade is possible: See this page on how to download the system installer: How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

• High Sierra requires an iMac (Late 2009 or newer) - is that your iMac model?

: https://support.apple.com/kb/sp765?locale=en_GB

But even, if you can upgrade to High Sierra it is not certain, if the AppStore will offer you an iMovie version that will run on this system version. The AppStore will usually offer older versions for the previous system version, but not for several years back.

Make a full backup, if you try to upgrade to High Sierra, just in case your current iMovie version will. not work on High Sierra and you are not able to get answer version. You need to be able to revert to your current system version.

Apr 23, 2021 9:18 AM in response to jwalker154

Hi, jwalker154,

Unless you have a specific reason for wanting to update, I would stick with 10.1.6. 10.1.6 worked very well with El Capitan. Given the age of your computer you won't be able to get the current iMovie versions anyway. There have been very few changes in iMovie 10 since 10.1.6, so you won't be missing anything. You could spend a lot of time trying to update with very little gain. But, of course, that is your call.

-- Rich

updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.