Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro unable to switch off because it’s trying to sync with my iPhone

My MacBook Pro won’t switch off as it’s syncing with my iPhone via Apple Music. Every time I open Apple Music it crashes, I’ve created a different Apple ID and updated my iOs is there anything else I could do?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 23, 2021 11:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 12:35 AM

Thank you for your reply Eric~F, I have been force quitting the music app and relaunching finder, I’ve also let the battery run down but when I power up after many hours I still get the message “the finder can’t quit because an operation is still in progress on an iOS device. Try again after the operation is complete.” The only option is to click ok. I’m just wondering if I can do anything on my iPhone X to interrupt this sync operation?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2021 12:35 AM in response to Eric--F

Thank you for your reply Eric~F, I have been force quitting the music app and relaunching finder, I’ve also let the battery run down but when I power up after many hours I still get the message “the finder can’t quit because an operation is still in progress on an iOS device. Try again after the operation is complete.” The only option is to click ok. I’m just wondering if I can do anything on my iPhone X to interrupt this sync operation?

Apr 24, 2021 5:32 PM in response to StageNamePending

Hello StageNamePending,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with issues with your Mac and iPhone.

For your Mac not shutting off, you can try to Force Quit any hung apps, most likely the Music app: How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support

Then, restart your Mac. If you still have issues, try booting to safe mode to allow it to check and repair disk issues: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Let us know if you need more help, and if the issues are also occurring in safe mode. Thanks.

Apr 27, 2021 1:20 PM in response to StageNamePending

Hello StageNamePending,

Thanks for that additional information.

It sounds like the only option at this point is to unplug the iPhone, and then hold the power button on the computer down until it restarts.

Please be aware, this may require you to restore your backup on your iPhone. As this has been occurring for some time now, this may be the only option at this point though: Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac - Apple Support

"Important: You can force a shutdown if necessary—for example, if your Mac becomes unresponsive—by pressing and holding the power button until your Mac shuts down. You may lose unsaved changes in open documents."

Remember to check safe mode once you can power your Mac down: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

If you need to restore your backup to your iPhone, check this help article: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Thanks.

MacBook Pro unable to switch off because it’s trying to sync with my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.