Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging iPad Air 4 through a USB C hub

Hello, I have an iPad Air 4 and a USB C hub by Aorz which supposedly has a 100W pass through USB C port on it. When connecting the hub to the iPad, I get a "Not charging" icon next to the battery. This happens when using a fairly low power charging adapter (not under 2 amperes though) as well as a high power 130W charging adapter. I read that the "Not charging" icon may indicate very slow charging, but leaving it plugged in for a while did not result in any percentage points being added to the battery. Also, the same hub charges Android phones properly via the pass through USB C port. Is this normal behavior? Do I have a USB C hub not compatible with charging the iPad?

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 12:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 2:34 AM

USB-C incorporates other individual standards that describe the physical and electrical interface - and an entire family of optional services that can be supported over the USB-C connection. USB-C is not a one-size-fits all. USB Power Delivery Protocol is just one of the standards that may be supported by a specific device.

For any particular hardware/standard to be usable with any USB bus, all devices in the connection chain must support the particular feature/service. Beware of manufacturer specific “proprietary” features - as these are unlikely to be standards compliant.

As for your Anker components, this USB-C hub explicitly supports USB-PD with 2018/2020/2021 models of iPad Pro and the 2020 iPad Air4:

https://www.anker.com/ca/products/variant/powerexpand-6in1-usbc-pd-ethernet-hub/A83650A1

Note that this USB-C hub supports connection of a 65W USB PD Power Adapter - with pass-through capacity of 53W. This indicates that the hub consumes 12W of power. You will also see that the Power Adapter must be connected to the USB PD port of the hub - and the iPad (the device being powered) to the pigtail USB-C connection.

Be aware that your iPad supports a maximum charge rate of 18W (i.e., 1.5A @12V / 2.0A @9V). As such, allowing for 12W to power the hub and assuming that no other USB power consumers are connected to the hub, to support the maximum charge rate of the iPad a 30W USB Power Adapter will be required.

If using a higher rated USB-PD complaint Power Adapter, allowing for the 30W potentially required for the iPad and hub, you will potentially have a 35W overhead to power other devices over USB - but individual devices may be limited by the USB port to which they are connected. USB Type-A ports are typically limited to 12W (2.4A @5V).

I hope this clarification is helpful in resolving your query.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2021 2:34 AM in response to anvoice

USB-C incorporates other individual standards that describe the physical and electrical interface - and an entire family of optional services that can be supported over the USB-C connection. USB-C is not a one-size-fits all. USB Power Delivery Protocol is just one of the standards that may be supported by a specific device.

For any particular hardware/standard to be usable with any USB bus, all devices in the connection chain must support the particular feature/service. Beware of manufacturer specific “proprietary” features - as these are unlikely to be standards compliant.

As for your Anker components, this USB-C hub explicitly supports USB-PD with 2018/2020/2021 models of iPad Pro and the 2020 iPad Air4:

https://www.anker.com/ca/products/variant/powerexpand-6in1-usbc-pd-ethernet-hub/A83650A1

Note that this USB-C hub supports connection of a 65W USB PD Power Adapter - with pass-through capacity of 53W. This indicates that the hub consumes 12W of power. You will also see that the Power Adapter must be connected to the USB PD port of the hub - and the iPad (the device being powered) to the pigtail USB-C connection.

Be aware that your iPad supports a maximum charge rate of 18W (i.e., 1.5A @12V / 2.0A @9V). As such, allowing for 12W to power the hub and assuming that no other USB power consumers are connected to the hub, to support the maximum charge rate of the iPad a 30W USB Power Adapter will be required.

If using a higher rated USB-PD complaint Power Adapter, allowing for the 30W potentially required for the iPad and hub, you will potentially have a 35W overhead to power other devices over USB - but individual devices may be limited by the USB port to which they are connected. USB Type-A ports are typically limited to 12W (2.4A @5V).

I hope this clarification is helpful in resolving your query.

Apr 24, 2021 1:47 AM in response to anvoice

The ability to supply power is not the issue. USB-PD is only one charging standard for USB; there are other standards (particularly used with Android devices) that are incompatible with iPad and other Apple devices.

As for your hub, this must also be explicitly USB-PD compliant. There will be one specific port to which you can connect a USB-PD Power Adapter - and one specific port to which you can connect your iPad for pass-through charging. All other hub USB ports are for connection of USB accessory devices.

Apr 24, 2021 2:07 AM in response to LotusPilot

Ah, I assumed USB C was more standardized. Thanks for pointing that out. Also, it appears that I was wrong and there is actually VERY slow charging going on via the hub: it gained about a percent in an hour.

The charger I have can directly charge the iPad without issue, so the Anker IQ technology it uses appears to be compatible. However, when going through the hub that same charger gives a "Not charging" icon. So the problem seems to lie in the hub. Interestingly, when connecting the iPad air's own charging adapter to the hub, there is no reaction whatsoever, so clearly the hub is doing some conditioning on the power it receives rather than a simple "pass through", and the Apple charger is incompatible with the pass through function of the hub. I can only imagine the hub's charging method is simply incompatible with the iPad, despite having enough power.

The hub does claim to be compatible with Macbooks, a claim I cannot test due to not owning any. Is there a way to be certain that if I buy another hub it will charge the iPad? Thank you for your help so far.

Charging iPad Air 4 through a USB C hub

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.