Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i can not restore my iphone se because it keeps coming up with

My iPhone se first generation is disabled and I just want to do a factory restore but every time I do it it comes up with The iPhone “iPhone” could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (9) and I've tried different laptops but nothing seems to work

iPhone 5, iOS 10

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 3:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 2:22 PM

It doesn’t have to be the original cable, but it has to be either an Apple cable or a 3rd party cable that is certified as Made for iPhone.

Error 9 can be a hardware problem in the phone. If you have been using really cheap cables you may have damaged the phone→Why Counterfeit Lightning Cables Kill iPhones - Motherboard

Here is the Help link for error 9→If you see error 9, 4005, 4013, or 4014 when you restore your iOS device - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2021 2:22 PM in response to Susie7081

It doesn’t have to be the original cable, but it has to be either an Apple cable or a 3rd party cable that is certified as Made for iPhone.

Error 9 can be a hardware problem in the phone. If you have been using really cheap cables you may have damaged the phone→Why Counterfeit Lightning Cables Kill iPhones - Motherboard

Here is the Help link for error 9→If you see error 9, 4005, 4013, or 4014 when you restore your iOS device - Apple Support

Apr 24, 2021 9:54 PM in response to Susie7081

Try if you can borrow one, otherwise it can be bought. Since you have tried several different laptops without success and you confirm that you have used a non-original cable, then I am also pretty sure that an original cable is the solution to the problem.

i can not restore my iphone se because it keeps coming up with

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.