Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal sound recording

Hi!

Does anybody know how to screen record with sound on mac? QuickTime only works with the screen and not the sound, and I need to record a seminar. Otherwise I’ll forget everything. It used to work on my old mac, but after updating to a new one (with big Sur) I can no longer record the internal sound

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 4:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 12:00 PM

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options".

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2021 12:00 PM in response to M_seriouslydonewithtech

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options".

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

May 6, 2021 7:32 AM in response to M_seriouslydonewithtech

whenever i choose multi-out while my headphones are connected, the mac mutes the speakers and the sound comes through the headphones. in the below screenshot, headphones are connected and Multi-out is selected.

as long as Built-in Output in the MIDI setup's Multi-Output Device is selected, the sound will automatically switch between headphones and built in speakers depending on wether the headphones are connected or not.

May 6, 2021 8:07 AM in response to M_seriouslydonewithtech

yes, you cannot control the volume in multi-out mode. you need to set the volume to a comfortable level BEFORE choosing multi-out. as far as hearing headphones and speakers at the same time, i don't know. that is unexpected behaviour that i don't encounter. is your sound in/out coming directly from your mac, or is it coming from some sort of hub?

Internal sound recording

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.