You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2021 / 24" as external monitor possible?

To reduce the number of devices on my desk, it would be great to use the new iMac 24" 2021 as external monitor for my business WIN laptop. Would anyone know if this is possible? I could find any information or detailed specs here.

Thanks

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 3:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 4:39 AM

Thanks and that's sad to hear. Until around 2014, this was possible on such as "desktop" computer (called target display mode - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592) - it's a little of a pity that this functionality is killed by design by Apple. There is really no reason to not offer it. @Apple: please include this functionality again!

(it seems that the mini and a separate external device might then be the only option for such a setup...)

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 24, 2021 4:39 AM in response to Jack-19

Thanks and that's sad to hear. Until around 2014, this was possible on such as "desktop" computer (called target display mode - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592) - it's a little of a pity that this functionality is killed by design by Apple. There is really no reason to not offer it. @Apple: please include this functionality again!

(it seems that the mini and a separate external device might then be the only option for such a setup...)

Apr 24, 2021 9:08 AM in response to 101DM101

The last iMacs that supported TDM were the Mid-2014 models. I early 2020, Apple removed the ability of all 2020 and newer Mac to use an iMac as a monitor in TDM.

for which reason?

You need to ask Apple, and they don't answer such questions here. Per the Terms of Use that we all agreed to follow in signing up to participate here, Apple policies and decisions are off-limits here. Their playground; their rules.

If you want to express your concern in a way that an Apple employee will see it, you can use this feedback link:

Feedback - iMac - Apple

Apr 24, 2021 10:40 AM in response to 101DM101

Target Display Mode was never intended to be a feature, it was an accident and Apple was forced to support it. Macs are computers they were never intended to be displays for other devices. Target Display Mode was unreliable, expensive to setup (relied on expensive cabling) and only worked on a small subset of machines. It was (and still is) smartest to buy an external display and use that for a number or reasons including reliability, ease of setup, low cost of cabling among others. That plus external displays have come way down in price, you can get a decent one for about $100.

Finally Target Display Mode has been dead for 6 years now so I wouldn't count on Apple resurrecting it.

iMac 2021 / 24" as external monitor possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.