Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using new 24inch iMac as external monitor

Hi all,

I've got one question where I am struggling to find the information. I wondered if the new 24inch iMac (iMac 24-inch - Apple) can be used as an external monitor with a MacBook Pro (either the 2019 version, which I got, or a newer version with M1 card).

I have a Macbook Pro from work (2019 version) and Ideally - if possible - I would like to connect it with the 24inch iMac, in order to use it as extended display (ie where you have browser open on one window and video/tool or writing application open on second window). Reason for preferring 24inch iMac over Apple's Studio Display is that I then would be able to use the 24inch iMac for personal use.

Many thanks in advance.

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 3:45 PM

6 replies

Jun 5, 2022 4:22 PM in response to mortenras

No it absolutely cannot be used as an external display for ANYTHING. Macs are computers, they are not external displays for other devices. You are asking about a feature called Target Display Mode (Target Display Mode) that dies in 2014 and the final shovel of dirt to bury it was the introduction of Big Sur.

Please refer to Target Display Mode (Target Display Mode) for Apple's official word.

Your best bet (it's less expensive than cabling, more reliable and dead simple to setup) is to buy an external display and use that.

Jun 5, 2022 11:28 PM in response to Jack-19

Thanks everyone for the guidance. This is very helpful.

I got that Target Display Mode is no longer supported but that Airplay may be an option to display screen from MacBook Pro to iMac. As I dont have a iMac to test with, let me know if someone got a bit more info on the following:

1. Whether Airplay between iMac 2022 also works with MacBook Pro (2019 version) or if the M1 card is required for it to function?
  2. When using Airplay between iMac 2022 and MacBook, whether it simply mirrors screen or if one can extend screen on top?

Thanks again everyone for the guidance and help!

Using new 24inch iMac as external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.