Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 12, bluetooth for "uconnect"

Want to get messages on my dodge vehicle, however when I pair the phone to the car, under bluetooth, it has uconnect, but does not provide an option for notifications. How do I get text messages to my car display?

iPhone 12

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 12:40 PM

7 replies

Apr 25, 2021 12:09 PM in response to Shooter1975

Hi Shooter1975,

Based upon the details you provided, we wanted to continue ruling out some other possible causes:

1. Do you have another Bluetooth device to test with your iPhone, like a Bluetooth headset?
  2. As there are no issues with using your wife's older model iPhone XR, there may be a firmware update available for your car stereo. You'd need to reach out to the manufacturer of the car stereo to obtain the steps.
  3. Speaking of updates, the latest for your iPhone model would be iOS 14.4.2. You can verify the version number installed within Settings > General > About. Here's a link that'll show how to first back up, then Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Cheers.

May 13, 2021 5:36 PM in response to Shooter1975

Got a 2021 Ram 1500, same problem with my IPhone 12 Pro Max. My previous dodge didn’t have the message feature. My iPhone has iOS 14.5.1, I have the 12” Uconnect in the truck. Everything is working except messages, it’s grayed out. Going to try to pair my sons iPhone 8 Plus. My sons phone connects, but doesn’t allow for messages either.

If you click on the grayed out messages, a pop up comes up. It says, feature not available due to device settings. I’ve checked my device settings and have not found the issue yet.

Apr 25, 2021 10:39 AM in response to Shooter1975

Hey there Shooter1975,

Let's team up to help answer your question about sending/receiving text messages with your car stereo.

If you're using CarPlay, here are the steps to Send and receive text messages with CarPlay.

If you're instead using a regular Bluetooth car stereo, you can also use Siri for some commands. Check out the section 'Reply to a message' here: Send and receive text messages on iPhone

Take care!

Apr 26, 2021 10:02 AM in response to CarlAVII

Based on your questions...

1. the bluetooth on the phone works as I do have an Apple watch
  2. I checked with manufacturer, and there the firmware is up to date
  3. software running is 14.4.2

On the XR phone if you go into Bluetooth and click on the "uconnect" (which is the car firmware) it has the option of notifications on or off. On the iphone 12, when you go to bluetooth and click on "uconnect" it does NOT have the option for notifications.

Not sure what else to try or check

Thanks!

iphone 12, bluetooth for "uconnect"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.