sync calendar/contacts with iCloud versus iTunes

I use iTunes on a Windows 10 PC to sync my Outlook 365 Calendar and Contacts with my iPhone 8 calendar and contacts. Today I received the following message in iTunes: "Support for syncing contacts and calendars has been deprecated and will be removed in a future version of iTunes."

I think it is still syncing. My questions are as follows:

1. Best option if I cannot use iTunes - Is it iCloud?
  2. If it is iCloud - will it duplicate all entries the first time I use iCloud to sync or does it recognize the two (iPhone calendar/contacts & PC based Outlook calendar/contacts) are already synced and just add/remove/change any differences? I have not used iCloud in past.

One last note: I sync both an iPhone and iPad Air with my Windows 10 PC.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 24, 2021 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 2:50 PM

Under another discussion (iTunes for Widows) on the same topic, someone contacted apple support and was directed to provide feedback. I am copying in his/her reply from the other discussion:

ikp1

User level: Level 1 (8 points)

iTunes Specialty level out of ten: 0

Apr 27, 2021 10:39 AM in response to lccla1

This would be a big loss of feature for me also. I started seeing this after upgrading to iTunes 12.11.3.17.

If this feature is important for you, suggest providing feedback via the following form:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Hopefully, if there is sufficient interest and request for this feature, it may not be removed in future.

[Edited by Moderator]

Similar questions

383 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2021 2:50 PM in response to Lucia555

Under another discussion (iTunes for Widows) on the same topic, someone contacted apple support and was directed to provide feedback. I am copying in his/her reply from the other discussion:

ikp1

User level: Level 1 (8 points)

iTunes Specialty level out of ten: 0

Apr 27, 2021 10:39 AM in response to lccla1

This would be a big loss of feature for me also. I started seeing this after upgrading to iTunes 12.11.3.17.

If this feature is important for you, suggest providing feedback via the following form:

Hopefully, if there is sufficient interest and request for this feature, it may not be removed in future.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jan 24, 2024 3:57 PM in response to Just Trying To Jam

I just bit the bullet and did the upgrade from 16.6 to 17.3. I can confirm that the update worked successfully. I then did a manual sync and my calendars synced. I had no new contacts, but I assume that would sync as well. I still get the popup stating that the syncing will be depreciated.

Calendar sync works with iOS 17.3.... iTunes 12.13.1.3 ... Outlook 2019 (as part of the Office 2019 desktop suite).

Feb 15, 2024 6:26 AM in response to jimbob5941

Apple have released Apple Music, Apple TV, and Apple Devices for Windows. Installing any of these cripples iTunes such that it can then only manage audiobooks and podcasts, and cannot handle syncing duties. This is clearly part of a plan to retire iTunes, aligning the replacement apps across both Windows and Mac platforms. The problem at the moment is that Apple have yet to release matching Books and Podcast apps for Windows, or put in all of the features that many users rely on, such as the ability to rip CDs, switch between multiple libraries, use scripts for bulk metadata changes, etc. Hopefully iTunes as a standalone app will continue to function until the shortcomings are addressed.

Apple could allow Windows users to stick with a single ultimate version of iTunes, patching any iOS connectivity issues separately. They did this for quite some time with iTunes on Mojave. Whether they will or not is another matter.

tt2

Mar 27, 2024 9:57 PM in response to Just Trying To Jam

i was going to ask the same thing. i had my calendar syncing to my iphone/itunes with no issues until about a week ago when i updated to iOS 17.4. Ive had Itunes version 12.13.1.3 for a long time, so i know that wasnt the issue. i need to use Outlook (not exchange) for work purposes as cloud is not an option. i use an Iphone 11 and have no plans to upgrade as of yet (my last phone was an iphone 5, and the one before that was a 2nd gen 3gs) as my phones last a long time.

Apr 25, 2021 10:38 PM in response to SnickZ.

I don't think this is a security issue. I have the same message when I open iTunes on my Windows PC. The problem is that there is no other information ANYWHERE on how we are supposed to sync our contacts and calendars after the next iTunes update. Do I have to re-type/update all my contacts from my computer in the future? This is basic info that should be able to be sync'd. Removing this function without a replacement option is just plain wrong. So is there a replacement option?

Apr 26, 2021 10:25 AM in response to Lucia555

I got this message too. So why is Apple deprecating the function to sync my phone contacts directly with my PC???????? This will be a deal breaker for me when it comes time to upgrade to a new phone. I'm not going to send my phone contacts to the cloud because it's my private information. To anyone reading this: don't by assurances regarding the security of anything that goes into a cloud storage, once it's up there, it's not longer only yours.

Apr 25, 2021 10:53 AM in response to Lucia555

Hello Lucia555,

We understand you received a message indicating support for syncing contacts and calendars will be removed in a future version of iTunes. We also understand it seems to still be syncing.

The latest version of iTunes for Windows is version 12.11.3, which you can read about in Apple security updates. If you haven't already, please Update to the latest version of iTunes to see if you continue to receive the same message.

If you continue to receive this message, you can Sync app info from your PC to devices with iTunes.

You can also sync information wirelessly with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iCloud or Microsoft Exchange. Any items you sync with these applications can also be synced with iTunes.

If you choose to use iCloud, please see how to Set up and use iCloud for Windows.

If you're unable to set up or use iCloud for Windows, we'd also recommend reviewing what to do If you can't download or install iCloud for Windows.

If you see duplicate contacts or have questions about iCloud features that work differently between your Apple devices and Outlook, please see how to Get help using Outlook with iCloud for Windows.

Cheers!

Apr 27, 2021 6:18 PM in response to spbill

spbill wrote:

My question exactly! No announcement from Apple can be found. Just a cryptic note without any follow-up or alternative, non-Cloud solution.

I mean, is Apple hurting so badly financially that they are now resorting to forcing everyone into an iCloud subscription?

iCloud for Windows is free. There are subscription options if you want more than the 5Gb of storage with the free plan. I realize that cloud is anathema to some, in which case not upgrading will be a temporary workaround, but who's to say how long that will be viable.

tt2

Apr 28, 2021 1:12 AM in response to Wunda

If isn't clear which build will introduce the change, only that Apple plan to do it. You might want to turn off any automatic update feature. If needs be there are links to recent builds and downgrade advice in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows - Apple Community which could be used if you find iTunes has upgraded unexpectedly, which might happen automatically if you're using the Microsoft Store version.

tt2

Apr 28, 2021 4:20 PM in response to dell278

I've posted before about how I'm extremely disappointed in Apple for slipping this 'little' change in without a formal announcement. Just imagine all the people who clicked through that message and in a future version of iTunes they'll go to sync and be left out in the cold.

As someone else posted, if this feature is important to you, provide feedback via the following form:

Hopefully, if there is sufficient interest and request for this feature, it may not be removed in future. (Although I highly doubt it.)

I've already submitted my complaint via feedback and through eChat.

sync calendar/contacts with iCloud versus iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.