Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my eSIM is no longer supported on my iphone XS

I am encountering a strange issue. All of a sudden my iphone XS decides to no longer support my eSim. I have had a dual sim configuration with US carrier Verizon as my eSIM primary line and an India physical SIM as a secondary line for the past 1 year and 6 months. This has worked without any issues. My wife has the exact same setup which is also been working for her.

A couple of weeks back my phone suddenly announced a SIM failure and I had no signal from my eSIM. After trying everything, I threw in the towel and called the cellphone provider and tried resetting network settings, didnt help. Reset all settings seemed to fix the problem and things started working again.

Then suddenly, yesterday the same issue popped up again and this time nothing would fix it. I went into the provider store and spent over 3 hours with a rep in person and another on the phone trying everything. I was able to get the number ported and a physical SIM started working but when the porting to an eSIM was attempted, the phone says my "Cellular plan cant be setup, eSIM installation is unsupported on your device"

For some reason turning on an off the cell phone lines was showing erratic behavior. I ended up completely resetting the phone to factory settings and restored it from a backup. Even then I dont see the add cellular plan option in the settings. After a reset of network settings, I still get the same message and things dont work.

The phone recognizes my India physical SIM but nothing related to the eSIM works.

Any ideas on how to remedy this?

iPhone XS, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 2:25 AM

To use two different carriers, your iPhone must be unlocked. Otherwise, both plans must be from the same carrier. If a CDMA carrier provides your first SIM, your second SIM won't support CDMA. Contact your carrier for more information. 

If you have an enterprise or corporate cellular service plan, check with your company administrator to see if they support this feature.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2021 2:25 AM in response to guru4772

To use two different carriers, your iPhone must be unlocked. Otherwise, both plans must be from the same carrier. If a CDMA carrier provides your first SIM, your second SIM won't support CDMA. Contact your carrier for more information. 

If you have an enterprise or corporate cellular service plan, check with your company administrator to see if they support this feature.

my eSIM is no longer supported on my iphone XS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.