Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 15 (late 2016) screen has gone black and glitched out - hardware fix advice

Hello,

My Macbook pro 15inch (late 2016 with touchbar) took a small fall and landed on its left side, the result is a screen that has first was 20% glitched out with lines on the sides and quickly progressed to a screen 95% black with some glitch lines.

IMPORTANT: I've reset the SMD and PRAM and the Macbook works fine with a monitor.

I'm aware that for earlier models that resetting the graphics card (taking it out and putting it back in again) has a high success rate of fixing the laptop and wondered if this is possible for this unit.

My laptop is out of warranty plus is hard to justify paying the high costs of a new screen. Can anyone advise a hardware or software fix that might sort this? I'm fine with opening up the macbook and the basic of component replacing (i.e replacing RAM) and am open to taking it to a technician.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 6:11 PM

The built-in Display is damaged and needs to be replaced. Your options are to repair the laptop or purchase another laptop.

Edit: In the mean time you can use an external display until the laptop can be repaired or replaced.

1 reply

Macbook Pro 15 (late 2016) screen has gone black and glitched out - hardware fix advice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.