Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

edit iPod playlists and back up music on iPod to computer

I've been wanting to back up my music FROM my iPod TO my computer (not the other way around) for a while, and can't figure that out. Now my playlists are no longer visible in iTunes either - I can't even edit them. I have MacBook Air, Catalina10.15.4.

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2021 10:13 AM

From the user tip...

Windows users may also find these two scripts useful:

• ImportDevicePlaylists - Imports regular playlists from an iPod or iOS device into the iTunes library. Can import from a selected playlist, or playlist folder, or all playlists on the device.
  • SyncStats - Copies highest play count, skip count, rating and most recent played & skipped date of selected tracks or playlist between iTunes and an iPod or iOS device.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2021 10:13 AM in response to Susan Stuart

From the user tip...

Windows users may also find these two scripts useful:

• ImportDevicePlaylists - Imports regular playlists from an iPod or iOS device into the iTunes library. Can import from a selected playlist, or playlist folder, or all playlists on the device.
  • SyncStats - Copies highest play count, skip count, rating and most recent played & skipped date of selected tracks or playlist between iTunes and an iPod or iOS device.

tt2

Apr 29, 2021 12:07 PM in response to Susan Stuart

The filenames on the iPod are deliberately obscured. Once copied to your computer you should unhide them, then add them to the library. If the files are tagged that information should be added to the library and the files can be renamed and reorganized to reflect this. Tracks in .wav format, or that have been converted to a lower bitrate when synced, don't have tags. There is a version of my SyncStats script that can pull the missing data out of the iPod.

tt2

May 3, 2021 7:37 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for clarifying. It seems my iPod is going to keep crashing as I copy files. I'm even doing them one at a time, and I'll get through a handful and then the copy message will hang and finally tell me I disconnected my iPod improperly, even though the iPod indicates on its screen a "Do Not Disconnect" status. My iPod-USB connector cord has seen better days but I've had no issues with getting power and connection with it before, so I'm not sure why the problems. Still a big project.

edit iPod playlists and back up music on iPod to computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.