Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Local Storage Full and Cannot Upload to iCloud

I have a MacBook Pro using Big Sur 11.2.3 with 250 GB of local storage . I upgraded to the 2T of iCloud storage as part of the my Apple One subscription. I'm attempting to upload about 750 gigs of files from my external drive to my iCloud by moving them to the iCloud Drive in my finder, however when I do I get an error stating I don't have enough space on my local drive to do this. I also attempted to move the files to my iCloud Drive using the iCloud website, but copying entire folders isn't supported.

What is the best method to transfer the 750 gigs of files to my iCloud Drive? Also is there a way to do this without filling up my entire local drive?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 6:53 AM

You can upload the files in small instalments, not all at once, and only small folders. Each folder you drag to iCloud Drive needs to be smaller than the currently free storage on your Mac.

Enable "Optimise Mac Storage" in the System Preferences > AppleID > iCloud, if you have not yet done so.

Once "optimise Mac Storage" is enabled, drag each folder separately to iCloud Drive and wait for it to be uploaded.

Once the folder appears on iCloud Drive and has been uploaded, ctrl-click it on iCloud Drive and use the command "Remove Download". Then will only take up storage on iCloud Drive and not on your Mac.

Once the local download has been removed, try to add the next folder to iCloud Drive.

Upload all folders, one after the other and remove all downloads immediately the same way, so all folders will be showing a download arrow.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2021 6:53 AM in response to gnsmith

You can upload the files in small instalments, not all at once, and only small folders. Each folder you drag to iCloud Drive needs to be smaller than the currently free storage on your Mac.

Enable "Optimise Mac Storage" in the System Preferences > AppleID > iCloud, if you have not yet done so.

Once "optimise Mac Storage" is enabled, drag each folder separately to iCloud Drive and wait for it to be uploaded.

Once the folder appears on iCloud Drive and has been uploaded, ctrl-click it on iCloud Drive and use the command "Remove Download". Then will only take up storage on iCloud Drive and not on your Mac.

Once the local download has been removed, try to add the next folder to iCloud Drive.

Upload all folders, one after the other and remove all downloads immediately the same way, so all folders will be showing a download arrow.

Local Storage Full and Cannot Upload to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.