Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete Big Sur off of external HD?

Had insufficient space on my MacBook so I downloaded Big Sur onto an external HD that I use. Ended up being unable to even login operating on Big Sur, it would just beach ball endlessly in the login screen.

I shut off my computer and unplugged my HD. Restarted without HD plugged in, and now back on Catalina. Plugged HD back in, and now it's just labeled as "Update" in finder as opposed to the name I chose for it. It still has all my original content on it, but I'm unable to see any of it in the HD screen. How do I entirely remove Big Sur? When I click 'eject' on Update I get the following message “Update” is a volume on a disk that has 2 volumes. Do you want to eject “Update” only, or both volumes? with the options 'Eject' 'Eject All' and 'Cancel'.

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 7:58 AM

Shutdown computer and disconnect the problem External drive. Restart computer and then plug in the problem external Drive. Open Disk Utilities >> View >> View All attached Devices. Navigate to the Upper Most NAME of the External Drive. Choose the Drive and Erase the External Drive and give it eh HFS Journaled OR APFS format with the Scheme: GUID Partition Map. Erase and done

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2021 7:58 AM in response to EthanHuntington

Shutdown computer and disconnect the problem External drive. Restart computer and then plug in the problem external Drive. Open Disk Utilities >> View >> View All attached Devices. Navigate to the Upper Most NAME of the External Drive. Choose the Drive and Erase the External Drive and give it eh HFS Journaled OR APFS format with the Scheme: GUID Partition Map. Erase and done

How to delete Big Sur off of external HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.