Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music stops playing after I open Spotify app

Why does my Apple Music stop playing after I open Spotify app?. If connected to Bluetooth it immediately switches over to connect Spotify even though nothing is playing. iPhone XR iOS 14 everything is updated I have already uninstalled and reinstalled both apps and powered off and on multiple times.

I can open other apps and it doesn’t stop playing, I’ve opened Instagram and YouTube, YouTubeMusic, etc.

I should be able to listen to music in the background while I search another music app that isn’t playing.

please don’t give me some lame response like ‘this is an isolated instance’ because it’s not.

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2021 9:26 AM

Welcome Dimitryp89,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, when listening to Apple Music and launching Spotify, it stops your music within the Music app. We'll do our best to assist.

You've done some good isolation here. By confirming the Music app continues to play music when launching YouTube and related apps, it tells us the Music app is working as expected.

We tested this on our end using Apple Music (Music app) and SoundCloud, it worked. The audio continued to play correctly from the Music app until we selected content to play in SoundCloud.

If this is happening only with the Spotify app, then reinstalling the app is the way to go: If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

If that didn't solve it, then you'd want to contact the app's developer for more troubleshooting: How to contact an app developer

Wishing you the best, take care!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2021 9:26 AM in response to dimitryp89

Welcome Dimitryp89,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, when listening to Apple Music and launching Spotify, it stops your music within the Music app. We'll do our best to assist.

You've done some good isolation here. By confirming the Music app continues to play music when launching YouTube and related apps, it tells us the Music app is working as expected.

We tested this on our end using Apple Music (Music app) and SoundCloud, it worked. The audio continued to play correctly from the Music app until we selected content to play in SoundCloud.

If this is happening only with the Spotify app, then reinstalling the app is the way to go: If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

If that didn't solve it, then you'd want to contact the app's developer for more troubleshooting: How to contact an app developer

Wishing you the best, take care!

Apple Music stops playing after I open Spotify app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.