Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie - change the change

I mistakenly changed a video clip to a still/photograph and want to change the clip back to video. Since I couldn't figure out how to do this, I deleted the clips with this problem and tried to again drag the videos from Photos to Imovie. Now, regardless of what clips I try to drag, all become stills with the camera icon in the top left corner of the clip. I can't click on the camera icon to open it, and don't know what commands can get me back to my original video version.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2021 9:27 AM

Instead of dragging the video clips from the Photos app to iMovie, use the Photos item in the iMovie project media sidebar to bring in the clips. For this to work, your Photos app library must be designated as the system photo library in the Photos app general preferences. This is the recommended method for importing clips from the Photos app into iMovie.

Also, is it possible that you are using iCloud Photos with optimized storage enabled? If so, you might just be dragging a thumbnail in instead of the full video. You could try doing a File/Export of your video clip from Photos to your desktop, and then drag it into iMovie from there. Do that even if you are not using the cloud.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2021 9:27 AM in response to ferrel80

Instead of dragging the video clips from the Photos app to iMovie, use the Photos item in the iMovie project media sidebar to bring in the clips. For this to work, your Photos app library must be designated as the system photo library in the Photos app general preferences. This is the recommended method for importing clips from the Photos app into iMovie.

Also, is it possible that you are using iCloud Photos with optimized storage enabled? If so, you might just be dragging a thumbnail in instead of the full video. You could try doing a File/Export of your video clip from Photos to your desktop, and then drag it into iMovie from there. Do that even if you are not using the cloud.

-- Rich

imovie - change the change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.