Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I delete only a SINGLE video clip in iMovie?

I have two video clips running at the same time, but I decided I don't want one of them and need to make room for another one I want to put in, so I select the one I want to delete and type "delete". It deletes ALL my video clips instead of just deleting the ONE clip I have selected. I have provided a picture example of my problem below. (See picture #1) Here I select the clip I want to delete, making sure it is the ONLY one selected (no other clips have a yellow border). (See picture #2) When I press the "delete" button, this happens. It deletes ALL of my video clips instead of just the one selected. Please advise, it is irritating the heck out of me.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 12:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 11:43 AM

You should be able to delete a clip from the time line without having all of the other clips being deleted. It looks like you are following the correct procedure. So iMovie is not behaving as expected.

Try deleting preferences and see if that solves it. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Also, to rule out that the issue might be confined to just this one project, try putting your media into a newly created project and see if the deletion procedure works properly there.

You also might try control-clicking on the clip and choosing Delete from the pop-up menu.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2021 11:43 AM in response to ryukyulover

You should be able to delete a clip from the time line without having all of the other clips being deleted. It looks like you are following the correct procedure. So iMovie is not behaving as expected.

Try deleting preferences and see if that solves it. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Also, to rule out that the issue might be confined to just this one project, try putting your media into a newly created project and see if the deletion procedure works properly there.

You also might try control-clicking on the clip and choosing Delete from the pop-up menu.

-- Rich

Why can't I delete only a SINGLE video clip in iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.